ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (14/35) > >>

barney:
@lotusrootstarch
I've only been involved with DC for two (2), maybe three (3) years, so I could be off on this, but I really don't see your complaint(s).  I've been involved with the Internet before there was a Web, spent many years on Compuserve and other, local, bulletin boards ... 'nother words, "I've been around."

As I understand, DC started off as a support area for mouser's output.  But it has grown significantly, and attracted some of the most helpful folk I've run across on the Web.  I don't think much about how attractive a Web site is, I care about how effective it is.

I've never looked at the [full-blown] revue aspect, but I've found the mini-reviews to be of inestimable value.  Those reviews have introduced me to software I'd likely never have found on my own, but some of that software fulfilled a need I had then or shortly thereafter.  Both a time savings and an introduction to newer and better ways of doing my job were accomplished thereby.  I'd say that was a site enhancement.

I've not contributed much in the way of help - I don't qualify for that function in light of the folk who are here! - but I have asked for help.  I've never been denied.  Of the questions I've asked here, I've never failed to receive an answer.  Not always immediately helpful, but I did get a response.  And for all except two (2) questions, I've received answers that either directly resolved my issue or pointed me toward an answer I couldn't see earlier.  I'd say that was a site enhancement.

(Oh, on the two (2) questions unresolved here ... the responses led me to consider hardware issues that otherwise would have gone unnoticed.  Those questions were about software, but the issue was hardware, and the answers - directly or indirectly - pointed me in that direction, caused me to check something that otherwise would have gone unchecked, possibly unnoticed until it was fatal, catastrophic failure.)

On software, other than the mini-reviews, I've been introduced to beneficial software that, again, I'd never have found by myself (Curt comes to mind, but there've been several others.).  I'd say that was a site enhancement.

Back when Tek-Tips was a new thing, I was a member.  I contributed fairly heavily, doing my best to answer questions from others.  But I left Tek-Tips and never looked back when some of the others started posting elitist, arrogant answers to honest questions from members not as experienced as themselves.  I have never encountered that elitism or arrogance at DC.  Don't know that that is a site enhancement, but it's been a welcome relief from most of the forae I've attended.

So, by and large, I just cannot see the complaint about the site not being updated.  It's updated daily with some of the most helpful people you're likely to find, it has expanded significantly from its original founding, and it's one of the most helpful friendly sites my experience has encountered.

One last thing ... there's a lot of "the big I" in this post.  That's because I'm describing personal experience and opinion, neither of which should be attributed to other members.

lotusrootstarch:
Well Target, if you see nothing wrong with the status quo then there's no point discussing the issues.

This particular discussion hasn't exactly been a welcome diversion or come at a particularly good time.
-mouser (February 28, 2011, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't you feel the resistance to constructive criticism?

I totally understand the worries and the desire for me to not bring these issues during this particular time, and to have this thread "calm down" asap, as such Target I suggest you to spend more time on the fund-raiser and not here. PDFTT as a few here would often say. ;)

As I said, I could be wrong all along... let's be patient and see how the fundraiser goes.

mouser:
Actually I'm very happy to have this discussion during the fundraiser, i just need to clear it out from my mind while i'm trying to organize a few things for the start of the fundraiser so i don't get bogged down in it while i'm supposed to be writing the newsletter, etc.

Target:
Well Target, if you see nothing wrong with the status quo then there's no point discussing the issues.

This particular discussion hasn't exactly been a welcome diversion or come at a particularly good time.
-mouser (February 28, 2011, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't you feel the resistance to constructive criticism?

I totally understand the worries and the desire for me to not bring these issues during this particular time, and to have this thread "calm down" asap, as such Target I suggest you to spend more time on the fund-raiser and not here. PDFTT as a few here would often say. ;)

As I said, I could be wrong all along... let's be patient and see how the fundraiser goes.
-lotusrootstarch (February 28, 2011, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

see, I tried a different tack here and clearly asked you to change the way I see things but again you have answered with obfuscation and condescension

Despite numerous requests from numerous people to clearly state your case still refuse to do so - clearly your interests here aren't at all what you claim them to be  

meh, some people just can't be helped...

lotusrootstarch:
mate my case is awfully clear throughout the thread, if you cant see my points now then I'm really not sure what I can do about it. To me u guys seems to be nailing on this username/identity issue lol, to me such diversion tactics only add to the confusion and serve no one any good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version