ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (9/35) > >>

app103:
Hehehe I'm here merely to point out the problems, look at all the responses I got here -- all pointing finger directly at me, and it's never even about me, it's about problems.

So app you made me feel very bad about myself under this username... alright I'm defeated... so what? It doesn't fix any problems I mentioned.

Ouch you guys really have no idea... 'nuff said. best of luck. cheers.  8)
-lotusrootstarch (February 28, 2011, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Defeated? Sorry, that wasn't my intention...just pointing out the most effective way to get things done around here, a way that works much better than complaining. It was meant to be a guide, not a baseball bat upside your head.

I hope you haven't decided to leave. I sincerely meant what I said and would love for you to volunteer to write a major review. You seem to have a strong interest in that area of the site and combined with a commitment to do the hard work and see it through, that's all you really need.

I'd be willing to help in any way that I can (except for writing that big review, of course...too much work for me, plus I am going to have my hands full for a long time with what I already volunteered to do for the software section)

So, how about it? Let's fix these problems. If you have any trouble coming up with a category to review, I am sure the community here would love to help with some ideas. All you have to do is ask.  :)

Stoic Joker:
Ouch you guys really have no idea... 'nuff said. best of luck. cheers.-lotusrootstarch (February 28, 2011, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Which is both true and precisely the point everyone has been trying to make. We have no idea what is actually on your mind...because you won't just say it. You've made your stand, and drawn a crowd, but only fain at substantive "solutions".

If you truly have an idea, simply say "...and here's my idea [insert idea]". Playing this AA style first-you-must-admit-there's-a-problem game isn't really helping anyone ... Now is it?

superboyac:
sorry, maybe I'm dim, but I'm still not getting it - just what is the issue here?
-Target (February 28, 2011, 12:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Lack of systematic, organized innovation will be the doom of this site... (don't say NANY, NANY is currently a publicity event, not innovation).

One of my ideas is that we need to find a way to encourage people here to work together on big group projects and promote to the public together using the resources we have, like from daily donations and fundraisers.

The current model is that we have everyone developing their own app without much serious support from anyone, and then releasing all the apps together during an event like NANY under the umbrella (or brand?) of DonationCoder.

How did it work out?

After a year of solicitation, preparation and much time and money spent on this "major" event, it enjoyed 3 days of lackluster public attention and then just disappeared from radar... gone.. end of story. Few people outside here know it happened.

Regardless of my idea or the validity of my arguments, something is obviously not right here.
-lotusrootstarch (February 28, 2011, 01:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually...not bad of an idea.  To somehow be able to work on larger group projects is a very interesting idea.

mouser:
Lotus, the thing is -- most of the shortcomings of the site that you have pointed out are indeed things that DC *should* continue to work to try to improve and do better at.

An improvement of the review area, better organization of the site in general.. Yes, definitely.  More big apps released more frequently by more people? Yes! Less insular and more people participating, yes.  More attention to the site by the outside world, yes.  More attention for our events, yes.  More focus on championing the idea of donationware? yes.

And it seems like your main point recently is, something is not right that these things aren't happening fast enough -- and then critically you make the leap to say that because we aren't achieving "success" fast enough we should be ashamed to have a fundraiser and ask for people's help in keeping the site going.

You see where you lose me is -- if you want the site to get better, and do better, and get more participation, etc. -- and you realize that there are many people working hard here, wouldn't the right response be the opposite?  Shouldn't you be working hard to contribute to improve the site, and encourage more people to donate more frequently so that the concept of the site can succeed?

There are so many things we can do better here, and should work on.  But we also try to be a force for positive change and improvement -- and we try to support each other constructively.

That's why your posts are so jarring -- instead of looking at all of the good things we do and celebrating them and trying to help us figure out how to do better, you seem intent on making us feel bad for the things we haven't yet accomplished and insisting that we not ask for help until we achieve some higher level of "success".  

We'll have our ups and downs, as we always have.  We are in this for the long haul.  But we're going to continue to ask for people's support without shame -- both in terms of financial contributions and in terms of volunteering time and helping us spread the word.

lotusrootstarch:
Mouser can't do it alone.  And he does encourage people outside of the 'senior member circle' to contribute in whatever ways they can- I know from personal experience.
-wraith808 (February 28, 2011, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not in the right ways, still not... i also know from personal experience... before you joined the site m8. :)

Look guys, there's no point making all these attacks at my username, it's just an agent to bring the problems to attention and provoke some thoughts. Sometimes hard poking is needed to trigger something happening.

I did my part for the site there's unlikely to be any further hands-on involvement. Some of you in this thread I know indeed too well to make personal attacks. You guys are simply the best members on this forum, or any forum, that I've seen so far. I'm not going to make my point by undermining any personality here.

But.. the problems I mentioned remain and this site is going downhill... fast.

@Stoic Joker:
Will what I say mean anything if the problems are not acknowledged first? There won't be any use debating on a solution.

Anyways time to read mouser's new post when I can haz a movie.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version