ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (5/35) > >>

wraith808:
I'm not accusing anyone not not working hard or any time... don't get me wrong on that.

There's something wrong about how this site operates!
-lotusrootstarch (February 27, 2011, 10:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why?  Because you think so?  What do you think is so wrong about how the site operates?  You haven't even stated your case... just a few data points and a few disagreements- no real concrete vision of what you think it should be.  And if mouser doesn't agree, and doesn't want it to become that, then why are you right and why is he wrong?

lotusrootstarch:
I honestly don't get it.. what about that chart are we supposed to feel unhappy about?

For what it's worth, when this site was started in 2005, if you had told me that in two years we would still be online i would not have believed you (and i have the 2005 chat logs to prove it); i never for a moment expected more than a handful of people to ever be on the forum -- and i expected the forum would serve only as a place to get official support for the applications i had written.
-mouser (February 27, 2011, 10:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's right!! But (at least) on the appearance, haven't you been promoting an idea, concept, and ideal of donationware that coders should buy into, since the creation of the site? Isn't it something that fundraising money is supposed to support?

You had a bunch of coders since 2006 who created donationware for this site, some even implemented your donationware licensing modules into theirs app under the umbrella of donationware... to all those who already left the site, are you saying "i expected the forum would serve only as a place to get official support for the applications i had written"?

So in the end, it's a mouser site, nothing to do with donationcoders or donationware.

mouser:
It seems to me the main complaint has to do with us not growing enough -- not getting better at the things *you* care about.. And i think you've made a case that for the things *you* care about, it has not gotten better enough (or gotten worse from your perspective).

But I don't think you speak for most of the people who have donated -- which suggests perhaps that we have let you down.. and you should ask for your donation money back.. That's not to say you aren't welcome here, and welcome to keep posting about what you think we should improve.

But you also have to bare in mind that everyone has different desires and expectations from the site.  Don't begrudge those who are benefiting from the site from contributing to it -- financially and with their time.  And don't begrudge us from asking for them to continue to support us.

Please allow us to refund your contribution to the site so that at least we don't have to feel bad about taking your money and dissapointing you.  This site is about asking for money from people who feel like we have done well by them.

Target:
Why don't you address any of the problems I listed instead of silence them?
-lotusrootstarch (February 27, 2011, 09:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

this is getting old - as far as I can see your biggest complaint seems to be that the site design hasn't really changed in some time, however on the off chance that there's more to it than that

1.  what new or additional functions and/or features would you like to see.  Specifically.  And why (please try and quantify the benefits to the community here)
2.  what value would be added by changing the appearance?  A static design doesn't necessarily indicate stagnation or inactivity, it could equally be a measure of maturity.  Change for changes sake is pointless, and there's always a cost (and not just financial)
3.  membership is dynamic.  Participation is voluntary and not all members actively participate, therefore a 'survey' of 'active members' probably isn't representative of the larger community  
4.  DC is not a 'major software' vendor, in fact as far as I can tell DC is not a software vendor.  The majority of the software available on this site is made available by the members (active or not), and almost without exception at no cost.  If you have a requirement for a particular piece of software post about it and someone may well take it on (that's one of the benefits of this community), or at least suggest a range of existing solutions.
5.  Reviews are problematic.  They are are time consuming, potentially expensive, and almost impossible to maintain.  They are also done voluntarily.  This means that there is nothing stopping you as an active community member from actively participating by choosing to update a particular review

Clarify you're expectations.  If you are looking for something from the site, please just tell us what it is

And finally, if you have, as you claim, been a longtime 'active supporter' of DC then please give everyone the courtesy of posting under you usual nick.  The people here are very easy to get along with (as you would no doubt already know) and are genuinely interested in helping out if and where they can (but you already knew that also)

mouser:
That's right!! But (at least) on the appearance, haven't you been promoting an idea, concept, and ideal of donationware that coders should buy into, since the creation of the site? Isn't it something that fundraising money is supposed to support?
--- End quote ---

I try very hard, constantly, to encouarge the idea of donationware, and to encourage people on the site to donate to the coders on this site who create stuff.

When i said that "i expected the forum would serve only as a place to get official support for the applications i had written"? -- i was explaining how in 2005 i really had no real hopes of other coders joining in and participating.. that has been an amazing wonderful development.  Then I spent a lot of time writing the DonationCredits system so people could support different coders and contributors.

The license keys have always been a controversial and complicated thing in terms of other users using them.. It's also an issue we've recently discussed here where you note that one idea i particularly like is doing away with the need for free license keys and moving to a model that asks for donations during updates, which would hopefully be easier for all coders to incorporate.

Look, i think the idea of promoting the idea of donationware is something we should and could do better with.. But this isn't a company.. If you think "we" should do a beter job of this kind of stuff, then pick up a writing instrument, and *YOU* do something about it.  The "we" in this site includes you and everyone else.  If you think more should be done -- then do it!  Or send a donation to people who are doing what you want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version