ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (25/35) > >>

superboyac:
This is all I'm going to say...
The reason why this discussion is kind of swirling around with no real end result is because the issue at hand is simply not that big of a deal.  There was a criticism made about the site, which is fine, and a lot of people have thrown ideas about how to "fix" or improve the problem.  But as we can see, there's no good solution or suggestions.  The reason why is because the site is already really really good.  You guys are struggling to find ways to improve something that is already pretty darn good.  Mouser has spent lots of time and thought to make the website interface really nice.  Unless you guys intend on doing a complete overhaul, there aren't that many HUGE issues to fix.
The forum interface is the best I've ever seen.  Given the amount of content here, it's organized in a pretty good way.  Even the seldom visited blog is a really nice, unique type of blog interface.  it links to actual forum posts, but features them in a cool way.  The search on the site is unbelievably well done.

So that's why it's so hard trying to improve the site.  The criticism, even if valid, is a little overblown.  It's not a big enough deal to get all worked up about it on either end.  In my opinion, at best, you could improve the site with a couple of minor tweaks here and there.  One of my suggestions which got implemented very quickly, was to have a way to increase the box where you write posts.  So mouser put that +/- button there.  Very minor.

So this is a situation of if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.  i never liked that saying, but it applies in this case.  I'm all for improving the site, but I'm noticing people struggling with actual good suggestions that don't involve completely overhauling the whole site.  People, it's already a really awesome site and design.  Can't we just enjoy it?  Can't we just thank all the people who have worked on it so hard?  I come here every day and I'm always thankful for how well everything is laid out here.  Sure, I can nitpick...lord knows I can...but to create this much bad blood over something that's already better than just about everything else out there?  I don't know.  it's just a little too overblown.

timns:
I have to disagree. Where does one go to see a complete list of the software available on DC? Certainly not the "Software" link at the top of the page.

I would definitely say that's one area that has been quite well identified as "needs improvement" and is (I hope) being very ably addressed even as I type this.  :)

Armando:
While I understand where Target and Superboyac come from, I have to agree with timns.

Plus, some kind of wiki functionality would definitely be a great addition. It works elsewhere, why wouldn't it work here ?

banmenot:
ROFLMAO looks like some mod got trigger happy a while ago and banned my lotus username:

I can't remember how many times mouser actually asked mods not to ban people and not to stifle free speech. It's quite counter-productive and benefits no one (check my comment on the link):

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/during-march-new-free-utility-or-other-goodie-every-day.htm

wraith808:
ROFLMAO looks like some mod got trigger happy a while ago and banned my lotus username:

I can't remember how many times mouser actually asked mods not to ban people and not to stifle free speech. It's quite counter-productive and benefits no one (check my comment on the link):

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/during-march-new-free-utility-or-other-goodie-every-day.htm
 (see attachment in previous post)
-banmenot (March 06, 2011, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you're actually concerned with improving the site, then why air dirty laundry like this on some other site?  Why not contact mouser directly?  I'm sure you know he doesn't condone this as long as you've been around- you even say so above.  Are you trying to help or hurt?  Because such perceptions on another site are sure to hurt...  I now really do question your intent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version