ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is DonationCoder too exposed of a brand?

<< < (2/6) > >>

mouser:
I find it really hard to compose replies to these posts that pack in 10 different conflicting barely-related ideas..

Paul please take this as constructive criticism -- you find some great stuff and have some cool ideas but it can be so hard to digest this stuff and respond intelligently when it feels like i'm reading a murder mystery with these posts sometimes.. with 10 different ideas, a mystery title, and 5 different links.  And it makes it that much more likely that any discussion to follow is going to go off in 10 directions at once (or else just cause people to give up trying to form a coherent response).  I'd give anything to have you refine these posts a bit and just really try to make one point at clearly as possible in each topic..

I say this to you as someone who suffers myself from sometimes feeling a need to write EVERYTHING i think about a topic all at once, whether it's in an email or whatever -- and I can tell you it is RARELY a good idea -- you just overwhelm and saturate everyone's ability to absorb what you are trying to say and it gets lost.

So I'll try just try to productively respond to one aspect of your post that resonated a bit with me, since i find myself increasingly thinking about ways in which DC can be confusing for people not familiar with the site.  One of the things it seemed like you were suggesting is that perhaps we should be more in the vangard about actually advocating for the concept of donationware and championing that cause more clearly in everything we do.

zridling:
Paul, do me a favor and summarize your original post. Like housetier, I'm having trouble understanding what point you're trying to make. Here's what I take from it.

1. Donationcoder.com is vaguely branded and amorphous.
2. Why are people here at DC -- the forum? (me), the donationware? the contests? Choose one?
3. Donationware is an unprofitable and unsustainable model. Instead, let's charge $1/download, standardized by mobile apps.
4. Devs get little or poor feedback from donationware. Better to charge a set fee and this will change.
Yes, this is recognized. Creating a front page in a paper.li (http://paper.li/) style (http://paper.li/MichaelWuensch/android) might help rein in the boards, but it would have to be automated created/updated and linked to forum posts. Not aware that any forum has ever done this.

2. Why are people here at DC -- the forum? (me), the donationware? the contests? Choose one?
All of the above. A better question might be: What brings them back to DC?

3. Donationware is an unprofitable and unsustainable model. Instead, let's charge $1/download, standardized by mobile apps.
No trial? If I try six apps and keep none, I'm out the money. Okay, still not that much. How about first time as trial, all subsequent downloads and upgrades cost $1?

4. Devs get little or poor feedback from donationware. Better to charge a set fee and this will change.
This is interesting if true. If I'm buying it, I might expect more. If I'm donating, I should be happy with what I got. Is that the thinking? (I don't know. This is primarily a Windows shop, so I can't use the software here.)

lotusrootstarch:
Since the last fundraiser 2 years ago, there:

1. Has not been any major changes/additions to the functionality of the site

2. Has not been any major changes/additions to the looks of the site

3. Has not seen any noticeable additions to the number of active members of the site

4. Is no addition of any major software application

5. Is a few event hosted here which earned virtually no public attention (this year's NANY, in particular, which is by now literally forgotten)

Now if you look at the fundraiser before the last, which was 4 years ago:

All these bullet points that I said above stilled applied if they were posted at that time!!

The point cannot be more evident, come on!! This is a stagnant site, no growth no innovation!

JavaJones:
And one wonders why you are still here given those inescapable facts.  :D

- Oshyan

lotusrootstarch:
I'm a supporter (although it may not appear as such), but not a yes-saying fanboy.

Fanboys don't drive things forward.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version