ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Most Pirated Software?

<< < (5/13) > >>

40hz:
40hz: I'm not saying all the 0day crackers are Robin Hood style saints, and I don't doubt the least that some of them are also doing nefarious deeds. All I'm saying is that if you get a 0day release from one of the reputable groups, and it hasn't been tampered with because you got it from a REALLY lousy place, it's almost guaranteed to be malware-free.

Why? Those people don't want to lose their prestige. And those that don't care that much about prestige don't want to lose access to their 0-second gigabit-pipe several-hundred-terabyte warez sites - simple as that :)
-f0dder (February 24, 2011, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Understood. Thx :Thmbsup:

Bamse:
Yes, I did manage to get latest Photoshop + Elements. All in all it took may be 10 hours but then it was tested and "secure". Update proof? I doubt it. Uninstalled shortly after, worst crap I have ever seen. Most are more than happy with older and more proven to work versions.
-Bamse (February 24, 2011, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Umm...even if it was just a quick load/try/remove deal... do you think that's a wise or considerate thing to come right out and admit doing on the public forum of a highly visible site where a number of its members and visitors write licensed software for a living?

Just thinking out loud here. ;) :)

-40hz (February 24, 2011, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Admitting the obvious you mean? I don't think DC is any exception from my assumptions of IT people being the worst offenders but aware that it will sell very few tickets to claim that ;) But sorry if it come off as offensive, I did not even mention China! just stating what I consider facts.

Paul Keith:
Yes, I did manage to get latest Photoshop + Elements. All in all it took may be 10 hours but then it was tested and "secure". Update proof? I doubt it. Uninstalled shortly after, worst crap I have ever seen. Most are more than happy with older and more proven to work versions.
--- End quote ---

Lucky!  :P

My impression is that 9 out of 10 who post in public warez forum, p2p threads etc. are dumb as a door and understand very little of security and malware. They go by names only, like nod32 or kaspersky. I would be careful to suggest they do much thinking
--- End quote ---

...stop flaming me!!!

Just kidding.

Actually this is true but my point was, just knowing nod32 and kaspersky, means that the users not only read reviews - they are apt to have read things like Sandboxie and have a decent malware and free AV installed to begin with.

As these users download these apps, these users become more exposed to figuring out which is legit and which isn't legit at a basic level and thus you have a higher mix of these comments verifying these files as opposed to say... Photoshop where working versions are the thumbs up, not the actual functionality.

I don't know about pirating outside popular sources, where the dumb people go, but f0dder is probably correct. There are many ways to get what you desire. Knowing IT people is usually an advantage
--- End quote ---

Yup. Sucks to be me but to be honest it's not like unpopular sources are a secret. Just hard to configure plus for piracy, intelligence is not the measuring stick but uploader reputation and people who have access to certain sites.

Paul Keith: I haven't had an interest in Photoshop for ages, since it's a piece of bloat, and my needs are fulfilled perfectly by Paint.NET... but www.nfoogle.com suggests that it shouldn't really be hard getting hold of a copy of the latest & greatest Photoshop.
--- End quote ---

See, that assumes the average downloader not only know nfoogle but they can afford usenet or know how to circumvent that.

I don't even know nfoogle and the average pirating person doesn't either. (Note that piracy is such a huge spectrum, average means below average and above average means going beyond public torrents)

Also, again, it falls into verification. It's one thing to acquire Photoshop, it's another thing to acquire THE Photoshop and I think that's important.

If you're just leeching Photoshop for the sake of leeching Photoshop, you're not really pirating. Just blindly acquiring. If that's the criteria, one may as well count the number of false software acquired via Gnutella and Kazaa which is pointless because this thread is not about the most pirated virus.

Umm...even if it was just a quick load/try/remove deal... do you think that's a wise or considerate thing to come right out and admit doing on the public forum of a highly visible site where a number of its members and visitors write licensed software for a living?

Just thinking out loud here.
--- End quote ---

Yeah. I don't see any problem stating that.

It's really up to mouser to moderate the posts but the truth is, some of the most apt pirates are also some of the biggest software supporters.

It's a lot like the assumption that poor people prefer cheaper knock-offs when in reality, poor people prefer brands and those that can't afford brands - buy branded knock-offs but they don't know the quality.

Same thing with drug users. Setting aside addicts, it's safest to induce drugs with people who know the elements of drugs than those who merely sell it. In that sense, the best supporter against drug abuse are the drug users themselves who don't want their drugs to be further demonified.

With software, the ones who pirate software, are much more intelligent at figuring out which software they want to support. The end result is that these guys tend to support the software in this site rather than merely pay x popular software for their needs.

There are exceptions like me who can only donate to developers if others donate to me since I have no money but I really and firmly believe that piracy is the market deciding they want to pay for items they really want to pay. We're not doing it at a conscious level, but evolutionarily speaking, now marketers can't get us as addicted because if they do, consumers will react via piracy not blind payments.

Bamse:
I was not lucky but persistent. Why is because I know Photoshop is the most difficult to get in a healthy/full condition and that I have made any possible mistake years ago. Was no better than those I call dumb. I am an experienced pensioned pirate, don't trust no one :)

I think the only way to fight piracy is to speak up about why and why not. Not so much about how of course. Ignoring piracy is living in an isolated world where you have heard it is a problem in China or where ever. Should be bad for business, must be. Numbers are huge! Problem is closer, for majority of DC members it is on their computer in some shape or form :) I don't think it matters one bit if they are devs with licensed software. Anyway, those who heavily pirate music also goes to concerts etc., feed the industry in other ways. Guilty or not is more complicated than it seems. I would guess quite a few of my imagined DC majority ALSO pay up for licensed software. The mighty LAW is bend over, so confusing - but how I think it is. With this people often make their own law and here I can see DC villains being more fair and eager with plastic card than average - still pirating though :)

Paul Keith:
If you don't speak about the how, you're just white washing IMO.

It's like gun usage. You can support guns and gun laws but in a society where people don't know how to use guns in an educated manner, they aren't being safer.

Same thing with piracy. Alot of these videos white wash the dark side and the dark side is the key to figuring out why the market acts like this. Instead we have DRM, DRM, DRM...we have "oh it doesn't take away sales".

It just creates another exteme of lies like Jesus is your saviour or Christmas is about generosity without really sharing the true side of Christ' teachings or Christmas' marketing gift bonanza which leads to mob tramplings all year long.

In a way that's why I feel you are lucky. Lots of guys persist. I could show someone a cracking tool and they would persist in cracking all their games but if I told them about torrents over Limewire, there's not a good chance they might even try Limewire.

Why is that? Because not all of us get the luck of figuring out the puzzle. Me? I'll trade an instant ban of all scene music and movie and popular software releases if it means I'll have a free repository of all the real 5 star books and all the real 5 star collection of rare software that would change my life. Doesn't mean if I persist in that mindset, I'll figure out IRCs and UseNets unless I have the money and the knowledge to set up things like seedboxes and having a terabyte HD while not being lured to leech and get because I have a fast connection and I know which collections to seed.

Not going to happen though. In the end, I'm still a slave to wanting to get Photoshop because I don't know any better unless I can figure out feature per feature what the difference is between Photoshop and GIMP and GIMPShop and Paint.net. Can you imagine if more of us transcended the "how" of currency? We'd have given less of our freedoms to corporations because more people would have known how capitalism works.

Instead what we ended up is people speaking about the why and why not of capitalism and it helped for a while but in the end, it just created a bunch of wage slavers despite the fact that there's a minimum wage, despite the fact that nothing is preventing anyone from organizing a boycott, despite the fact that there were schools, despite the fact of all this... it was lost because we'd rather show someone why they need to fish rather than show them how to fish. So again, I'm sorry if I'm somewhat underrating your persistence because of this, but when linked to your piracy statement about not the how...I just need to respectfully disagree with your conclusion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version