ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

20 New User Misconceptions about Linux

<< < (8/10) > >>

zridling:
the biggest problem with Linux, OpenOffice and relative project is that they are created not in order to bring innovation, but to resemble as much as possible to Microsoft products... so, who would use OpenOffice? only a geek that wants to create and use something that MS already has created (just like a university thesis: create an MS Office clone) or only users that want to use something different from MS Office, because they hate MS or because they don't have money for MS Office-kalos (March 02, 2011, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting perceptions, but for the most part, OpenOffice died once Oracle bought Sun last year. From now on, we'll say LibreOffice. Microsoft didn't invent the word processor or the spreadsheet or the database or the email program. So why would Microsoft create something that had already been invented and done (WordPerfect, Lotus, dBASE, etc.)? Not everyone wants to use Apple. Not everyone wants to use Microsoft. Some of us want that alternative. And when taxpayers don't have to fund their software through large corporate contracts, it's a big savings for everyone.

the biggest challenge OpenOffice, Linux, etc must overcome is this: a user thinks that doc documents are meant to be opened and edited by MS Office, why would he use OpenOffice for it, even it advertises that it is fully compatible? Consider Nvidia's slogan: Nvidia - the way is meant to be played. you can play games with other graphics cards, with emulators and so on, but it's not the way they meant to be played you can use Linux and install Wine in order to run MS Office, right... does this sound clever?-kalos (March 02, 2011, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't quite follow your Nvidia reasoning; I hope you don't take marketing/ad copy literally! In 2011, not too many .doc files are thrown around anymore and MS-OOXML files (MSO-'07>) are almost nonexistent on the web. I don't know of any other office suite that cannot open an old .doc file. Linux users are not confused by this.

ofcourse Linux has some advantages, eg possible faster startup, possible fewer reboots, etc, but these don't even touch everyday usage of an average user, in order to consider them a real advantage-kalos (March 02, 2011, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
I agree.

all these thoughts from a user that has tried many many distros, window managers, OpenOffice from years ago, and find out how they fail to bring innovation and make the user think, I will definately switch to these alternatives-kalos (March 02, 2011, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
You need to try them again this summer! It depends on how you use your computer. There is lots of innovation between the two big window environments, and KDE brings far more flexibility and advanced features than Windows 7 has. That said, for me it's fluff; I don't use them. Most of my computing is centered on utility and efficiency -- most of my time is spent inside a text editor and browser. But I'm not average by that measure.

ofcourse these do not apply to numerous opensource projects are innovative and have real advantages-kalos (March 02, 2011, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Can you name a few that you find innovative and advantageous? I'm curious. Chrome browser is the big one lately. To quote Glyn Moody:
Since the code base is open, companies can - and do - start tweaking it to make it “better” - where the metric for that improvement will vary from company to company. For some it might be speed, for others security, for yet more it might be a small footprint and so on. These different versions then compete in the market and Darwinian selection allows “better” versions to survive and thrive. That's shown most clearly in the world of GNU/Linux distros, which do indeed start from the same main code base, but then split off in hundreds of different ways - this incredible diversity is part of the huge strength of the open source ecosystem. In any case, since open source programs nearly always use open standards - unlike many proprietary products - it is much easier to create new codebases that support those standards than it would be if proprietary standards dominate. (http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/open-enterprise/2011/03/more-fun-with-anti-open-source-fud/index.htm)

f0dder:
And when taxpayers don't have to fund their software through large corporate contracts, it's a big savings for everyone.-zridling (March 04, 2011, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
<tongue-in-cheek>Except when it ends up more expensive because of re-training, hiring expensive linux consultants, and not being able to handle stuff in-house because the documentation sucks.</tongue-in-cheek>

johnk:
most of my time is spent inside a text editor and browser. But I'm not average by that measure.
-zridling (March 04, 2011, 05:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the key, I think. In general, enthusiasm for Linux is a function of your user profile. If most of what you do all day is use a text editor and a browser, it really doesn't matter what OS you use. Why would you spend money on an OS for those purposes? For most computer users, the issue is more complex.

40hz:
hiring expensive linux consultants
-f0dder (March 04, 2011, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wot? I do most of my Linux 'consulting' gratis. I didn't know we were allowed to be expensive consultants! :huh:

Hmmm...thanks for the tip f0dder.

:P

zridling:
That's the key, I think. In general, enthusiasm for Linux is a function of your user profile. If most of what you do all day is use a text editor and a browser, it really doesn't matter what OS you use. Why would you spend money on an OS for those purposes? For most computer users, the issue is more complex.-johnk (March 04, 2011, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

True, I can't argue that. One thing I liked about this particular cliche-titled article was the author's criticisms of Linux. My extra-curricular PC activities are spent among a few social media, youtube, and playing chess. But all of those are done within the browser. Otherwise, I'm mining data in a text editor. Yet the only thing I miss -- but don't use -- is Photoshop. If I want flash and sizzle, I can have it in spades on Linux. However johnk, let me ask: what do you (or most computer users) on the computer that complicates it? Just curious, not critical.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version