ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

20 New User Misconceptions about Linux

<< < (3/10) > >>

zridling:
@Paul: Thanks for the laugh. That made me spew my chocolate milk.  :P

40hz:
@PK: +1 with Z!

Finally got a chance to read all the way through it. Absolutely priceless in places. The rest is just plain funny.

Gonna have to drop this one however:

Make it known that $699 (the fee you legally owe SCO Novell if you use Lunix) is $300 more than the price Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, which has more features, greater stability, and has been shown time and time again to have a higher ROI.
--- End quote ---

On the plus side they can always add this press release from SCO (emphasis added):

LINDON, Utah, Sept. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- The SCO Group, Inc., (Pink Sheets: SCOXQ), www.sco.com, a leading provider of UNIX® software technology, today announced that it is  pursuing a sale of substantially all of the assets of its UNIX® business, including certain UNIX system V software products and related services.  The asset sale will be free and clear of liens and encumbrances pursuant to Section 363 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.  Interested parties must submit a bid by close of business, October 5, 2010.  For information on the company or the sale, please contact Ocean Park Advisors, LLC, 6033 West Century Blvd., Suite 1290, Los Angeles, CA 90045, Attn: Bruce Comer, Managing Director, (310) 670-2721; Mark Fisler, Managing Director, (310) 670-2704.

"This asset sale is an important step forward in ensuring business continuity for our customers around the world," said Ken Nielsen, chief financial officer, The SCO Group.  "Our goal is to ensure continued viability for SCO, its customers, employees and the UNIX technology," said Nielsen.

The purchase price for the UNIX software assets will be determined in connection with the auction sale.  Any party wishing to submit an offer for the Software Business Assets must submit a non-contingent offer, marked Asset Purchase Agreement to show any revisions, and evidence of financial wherewithal to close on the transaction on or before October 5, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. (prevailing Eastern Time) to: (i) The SCO Group, Inc., 333 South 520 West, Suite. 170, Lindon, Utah 84042, Attn: Ryan Tibbitts; (ii) Blank Rome LLP, 1201 N. Market Street, Suite 800, Wilmington, DE 19801, Attn: Bonnie Glantz Fatell, Esq.; (iii) Ocean Park Advisors, LLC, 6033 West Century Blvd. Suite 1290, Los Angeles, CA 90045, Attn: Bruce Comer.
--- End quote ---

In case you haven't followed the whole SCO debacle, the courts had already rendered a final decision which determined SCO did not own the rights to any of the Unix System V software it was looking to sell.

Thank all that's holy the SCO legal team's dog & pony show is finally set to be shut down once and for all. :Thmbsup:

mahesh2k:
(2nd note: make $50 billion, and she won't give a flying fuck what operating system you use)
--- End quote ---

:D  :D

f0dder:
Decent article, but I've got a few comments :)

9) Linux supports less hardware than Windows.
--- End quote ---
A couple of minor beefs with this one. WiFi and GPU drivers can be troublesome, but let's skip that for now - that's a dead horse that's been beaten to pulp already. I've had trouble with linux even when drivers have been available - sometimes it's been relatively minor things like packets dropped every now and then for no apparent reason, other times it's been really weird stuff that seem to have been fundamental flaws in the PCI bus handling code. The occurences have been rare, but it hasn't been very faith-inspiring to see that class of errors on fairly standard hardware.

11) Linux has terrible printer/scanner support.
--- End quote ---
Obviously the driver/scanner manufacturers are the ones to blame, but it doesn't make the point less true. I'm sure we're much better off these days than the few years since I printed from linux last, but ugh - CUPS was no joy, and it only gave me the most basic of printing options. Caveat Emptor!

17) Linux represents a specific political viewpoint.
--- End quote ---
Mostly agree with this one, but you can't deny that there is quite a lot of attitude in a lot of linux users, and it can be a pretty hostile place if you don't subscribe to their ideas, just like the Mac camp. Yes, you can obviously run into dsckheads everywhere, it just tends to happen more often when dealing with "niches" (whatever that be software, religion, politics or whatever). Fortunately this situation will grow better as more normal/sane/rational/pragmatic people adopt linux :)

Paul Keith:
fodder your comments made me think:

Donationware - Where Douchebags Can't Be Part of the Niche

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version