ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

20 New User Misconceptions about Linux

(1/10) > >>

zridling:

Matt Hartley's points are true to my experience. Point is, not to believe the rumors, rumors about rumors, and counter-rumors!  ;D

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3925611_1/20-New-User-Misconceptions-about-Linux.htm

Renegade:
Wow. I don't think I've ever read a media article about Linux that didn't piss me off or drive me half insane with rage about absurd assertions about 1,000 km over the borders of madness, but this guy is BANG ON!

Windows, on the other hand, has a "here it is" approach that works well enough for its intended audience.

2) Windows software looks better than Linux software. So you think that Windows software has the marketplace cornered on what's pretty? Take a look at some of the horrid looking applications running under the shareware/freeware license sometime.

And while you're at it, be prepared to be turned off cold with some very unattractive software. The fact of the matter is that all platforms have software that can look great as well as some that are horribly ugly.
--- End quote ---

Well, he goes from brilliant to irking me a tad with that statement, to brilliant again. I've seen commercial software that will make you gouge your eyes out with your fingernails all the while screaming, "It can't be~! Make it stop~!" Shareware/freeware has very little to do with how ugly software can be.

Throughout the article, be nails it time and time again.

18) Linux has no malware.

One of my favorite misconceptions is the belief that Linux is completely free of malware. Not only is this nonsense, but it's dangerous to believe as Linux adoption continues to grow.

While it's true that malware for Linux is nothing compared to the Windows platform, you put yourself in danger every time you install software without installing it from a trusted source. This is true of all platforms, not just Windows. Less of a threat doesn't mean that the threat is non-existent.
--- End quote ---

Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God!

HONESTY~! WOW~! Man... This guy has my respect.

That was a sheer joy to read. It was refreshing and really makes me look forward to the day that I can truly move to Linux as my primary platform.

40hz:
I'm just wondering how many more times somebody's going feel the need to rewrite this same old article.

Because this is about the 20th Linux exposé I've seen.

Some use ten headings. Some use more. But they all essentially say the exact same thing. :-\

;D

johnk:
I finally got around to doing my annual Linux trial. Been playing for a week or so.

But actually it's almost two years since I've used it, and some things have certainly improved. Initial install was flawless. Printer support is much improved. Yes, I could do my everyday tasks of browsing and email quickly and without any difficulties.

And then I started wandering off the beaten track. One detailed example -- I wanted to install Swisscenter (my media server of choice). Experience of installing Swisscenter on Windows: download install file, double-click. Experience of installing on Linux: install Apache, PHP and MySQL (using XAMPP), install Swisscenter separately (all via command line, no other option). Spend serious amounts of time tweaking config files of these programs to get them to behave nicely together.

And yes it all worked in the end. But despite many positive experiences in the last week, my opinion remains the same. For undemanding users who just want an email/browser machine, Linux is absolutely fine (as has been for years). For those happy on the command line (and sometimes I edge into that camp myself), Linux is excellent. But for the large group in between, Windows remains a more pleasing and seamless experience.

housetier:
And since my anecdotal evidence seems to support the opposite, no point was proven.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version