ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

20 New User Misconceptions about Linux

<< < (9/10) > >>

40hz:
I'm guessing it's mostly games that are what makes it more complex?  :)

iphigenie:
I'm a card carrying Free Software advocate but it doesnt mean we can't what is wrong in the GNU/Linux setup for the desktop

- 64 bit isn't quite there yet and that is a weakness compared to windows
- X is a mess. seriously. window managers and display managers and desktop environments in mix and match, drivers and configurations. Can be a nightmare once anything goes a litle wrong...

zridling:
- 64 bit isn't quite there yet and that is a weakness compared to windows
- X is a mess. seriously. window managers and display managers and desktop environments in mix and match, drivers and configurations. Can be a nightmare once anything goes a litle wrong...-iphigenie (March 07, 2011, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

What am I missing? I've not had these [bad] experiences running 64-bit Linux for several years now. I use KDE 4.6: no nightmares there, either. Not saying problems don't happen, just that one's vague claims of terrible-ness has not been true to my experience since '06.

40hz:
Like zridling, I haven't run into any showstopper issues with 64-bit distros for quite a while now. But I stay fairly mainstream with what I install. And I'm also slightly behind the most recent curve for hardware. So finding drivers or workarounds usually isn't a problem because of it.

Guess it all depends on each person's setup.

re: the state of X

Agree. Development efforts  are currently going through a bad patch. I'm optimistic however. They've been through this before. Eventually, they'll either get it all worked out, or fork (again) - and may the best approach win.  

And if not, X will go the way of all flesh, and something else will come along to replace it. "No tears in heaven" as Eric said.

Right now, it looks like it's just another change in the weather - and one more squall to ride out.  :)

-------

@iphigenie - Hi! Nice to see your moniker gracing the forum again. It's been a while.  :)

johnk:
However johnk, let me ask: what do you (or most computer users) on the computer that complicates it? Just curious, not critical.
-zridling (March 07, 2011, 03:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's basically down to available software. You mentioned one example (Photoshop). I do use it, and there is no Linux program that comes close. But it's only one example of programs I use where I struggled to find Linux alternatives of an equivalent standard. Still in the photographic area, there's IdImager (industrial-strength photo organiser), and pro-level photo downloader/tagger/renamer Downloader Pro.

In general utilities, I couldn't find a Clipboard manager of the quality of Clipcache Pro (much more than a clipboard manager really - contains several years worth of web clippings and other data in a robust database). And even in the area where Linux is supposedly at its strongest, I still didn't think the best file managers matched Directory Opus. And is there a Linux RSS reader as good as FeedDemon? A high-volume CD ripper/converter as good as dBpoweramp? The list goes on.

Perhaps this is being unfair, but I sometimes think of Linux as a first-class OS with very limited software -- and Windows being the other way around! (to be fair, Win7 has been a huge leap forward).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version