ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu: Where Did the Love Go?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Renegade:
I'd love to stick linux on one of my old machines and give it a whirl... but then I think... "why?"

- I'm at the point where I simply have no good reason to do it, which is quite sad. Got a nice backup server, nice media server, my dev machines have to be Windows... what is left?
-timns (February 22, 2011, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

You could always simply manufacture an excuse. Got any quick little utilities you've made that you feel like porting over to Linux?

I'm stuck on Windows as my primary platform. There's just no way I can switch. My clients pretty much dictate the formats and software I need. e.g. There's no escaping Microsoft Office (and no -- I've already checked other office suites -- they don't work for what I need).

It makes it tough to switch like that. Right now I only run Linux in a VM.

Renegade:
That was an excellent article. WOW. 2 in 1 day!

It's nice to read a balanced view that isn't brown-nosing one OS and dissing another. Very refreshing!

40hz:
Seemed to me like the buzz was manufactured before anyone even tried it.
-MilesAhead (February 22, 2011, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Be interested in hearing you expand a bit on why you feel that way.

Because I can't think of anything that occurred that would give me any reason to think that. And I go back a long way with Linux. The first distro I ever successfully loaded was Softlanding's SLS back somewhere around 1994. We were trying (unsuccessfully ;D) to get a version of the Fido BBS :-* to run on it.

8)

MilesAhead:
Seemed to me like the buzz was manufactured before anyone even tried it.
-MilesAhead (February 22, 2011, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Be interested in hearing you expand a bit on why you feel that way.

Because I can't think of anything that occurred that would give me any reason to think that. And I go back a long way with Linux. The first distro I ever successfully loaded was Softlanding's SLS back somewhere around 1994. We were trying (unsuccessfully ;D) to get a version of the Fido BBS :-* to run on it.

8)
-40hz (February 22, 2011, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can remember loading up Slackware 3.0 and being amazed how solid the 2.0 kernel was.  First kernel I used seriously was 1.39 I think.  The reason I felt that way was because there's all this talk Ubuntu Ubuntu this revolutionary stuff. I load it up and nothing special at all. How else should I feel?  All air and no balloon.

I'm no guru but when I started with Linux if you wanted a window manager you had to either copy X-Files(pun intended) off the CD if it came with them, or download off the net, set it all up and tinker with the configuration file until you got it to come up without crashing or hanging.

It was common to boot into console mode, then run X to start X and load a window manager. I think Red Hat 6.0 was the first one I tried that did it all for you.

I haven't tried Ubuntu after the first couple of releases since I saw no reason to.  Other distros such as the Mandrake I mentioned not only set you up and booted right into a Window manager, but downloaded the packages you wanted so the first time you came up into your account everything was set up.  I think apt-get was more responsible than anything for making Linux easy to mess with. I can remember downloading tar balls and spending several days to get something to install and load correctly.  After apt-get it was mostly push button.  Nothing to it.

I didn't see the innovation. All I saw was hype.

zridling:
The first distro I ever successfully loaded was Softlanding's SLS back somewhere around 1994.-40hz (February 22, 2011, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Holy smokes, you were in on it at the beginning! And I thought I was daring in '98 and then again in'01. Took me until '06 to make the full switch.
I've said many times here, I think the problem with Ubuntu is the failure to address bugs that carry over from one version to another. And I do agree with the author that Shuttleworth has never really delivered on the 'promise' of his big talk. Now if Mint were his, then he might have something to brag about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version