ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ubuntu: Where Did the Love Go?

<< < (5/6) > >>

40hz:
Is this specific to corporate software?

From my personal knowledge as well as the software I have tried, I can't help but think there aren't any bigass apps anymore.

This doesn't mean there aren't any bloated software but setting aside "secret, only if you know about it" software like MS Office - I can't help but complain that often times all the bigass software I've used are well... not bigass but just wrongly bloated.
-Paul Keith (February 24, 2011, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Quick clarification. By "big ass" I meant "bloated."

I was trying to inject a touch of humor.

Apparently I've failed. :)

Paul Keith:
No...no... I did get it the first time but my head just went into things like Scrivener, Outliner 4d, Final Draft which I consider bloated and big ass still but are they really? Should we instead turn those things into extensions and plug-ins?

Once that happened, I had to write what I wrote.

MilesAhead:
@40hz

I think the argument got confused between those saying "Ubuntu is way easier than Slackware" or other nuts and bolts distros where you had to dig into scripts(which is certainly true) and my point, which is Ubuntu didn't spring out with a new system that's easier. In fact just refreshing my memory by checking the Wikis it seems it's initial release was 4.10 since it was a Debian offshoot so to speak and is dated 2004.  The Mandrake 9.1 I used was released in 2003.  So my only point is that Mandrake did it earlier and implemented it better in my opinion.  Mandrake too used the APT packaging system but it didn't go around shouting like it invented it. It just made a distro easy to use that still catered to developers. It made it very easy to install software development tools as well as user apps.

I guess it's kind of like Al Gore "inventing" the internet. If you are a Democrat ward boss then I'm sure for you he did.  Other people think internet developed for quite awhile and zoomed to popularity in the early 90s. :)

Perhaps because Ubuntu is a Debian offshoot then the dude felt justified with the hoopla.  But I would recommend before anyone with broadband  makes up their mind, try the Mandriva one CD install, then try Ubuntu equivalent.

As much as some of the Linux programming was fun and I could obtain incredible database software, even Corba development systems for the download, I started in Dos so I guess I have a masochistic streak.  Linux is too easy to maintain now. If you have a UPS and a journaling file system the damn thing never breaks!! Windows otoh requires constant tweaking for those of us who feel we have to "improve" something every day. :)

MilesAhead:
She prefers Gnome to KDE
--- End quote ---

Mandrake 9.1 made it a one click to choose either. I remember using both and it was no big deal to switch around. I think I eventually settled on Gnome just because much of the software I downloaded seemed to be tuned for it. But it's been a long time.  Many of the sites I used to visit to check out the latest developments don't even exist anymore.

40hz:
@MilesAhead - I agree with you that Mandrake was way ahead of it's time. If it hadn't shot itself in the foot so often it just might have been where Ubuntu is today. Shame really, but what can you do? Mandriva is also very nice. But it's got a lot more quality competition to contend with now than it used to. I wish it well. The more good distros the better AFAIC.

I guess it's kind of like Al Gore "inventing" the internet. If you are a Democrat ward boss then I'm sure for you he did.  Other people think internet developed for quite awhile and zoomed to popularity in the early 90s. :)

-MilesAhead (February 24, 2011, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kinda funny that you mentioned that. That's one of those stories that drives me nuts. Probably because I watched that interview - and I didn't hear him say what the Republicans started claiming he said. (For a while, there were so many people I knew insisting he had, that I began to worry maybe I was mistaken thinking I hadn't heard it.)

So with no knock on your point, I'd like to go off topic to quote Snopes.com's conclusion on that story (link here):

Internet of Lies

Claim:   Vice-President Al Gore claimed that he "invented" the Internet.

Origins:   Despite the derisive references that continue even today, Al Gore did not claim he "invented" the Internet, nor did he say anything that could reasonably be interpreted that way. The "Al Gore said he 'invented' the Internet" put-downs were misleading, out-of-context distortions of something he said during an interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN's "Late Edition" program on 9 March 1999. When asked to describe what distinguished him from his challenger for the Democratic presidential nomination, Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, Gore replied (in part):
During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.
Clearly, although Gore's phrasing might have been a bit clumsy (and perhaps self-serving), he was not claiming that he "invented" the Internet (in the sense of having designed or implemented it), but that he was responsible, in an economic and legislative sense, for fostering the development the technology that we now know as the Internet. To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the "invention" of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign. Gore never used the word "invent," and the words "create" and "invent" have distinctly different meanings — the former is used in the sense of "to bring about" or "to bring into existence" while the latter is generally used to signify the first instance of someone's thinking up or implementing an idea. (To those who say the words "create" and "invent" mean exactly the same thing, we have to ask why, then, the media overwhelmingly and consistently cited Gore as having claimed he "invented" the Internet, even though he never used that word, and transcripts of what he actually said were readily available.)
--- End quote ---

OK everybody? He never said that! :-\

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version