ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software to share To-Do lists?

<< < (4/8) > >>

superboyac:
All I want is a way for me to share files and folders with other users.
-superboyac (February 22, 2011, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

For basic todo, I'd definitely try April's suggestion above. Almost Zen-like in it's simplicity. (I really like it. Yay April! :Thmbsup:)

For basic file sharing I'd go with Microsoft's free Skydrive.

If either of those are too complicated for your partner, then it's spreadsheet time. ;D
-40hz (February 22, 2011, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
For this particular request (todo list), I think app's will be perfect. If my coworker doesn't like it, then Excel is our other choice.  We have networked shared drives, so we can share any files with each other.  So I don't need Skydrive.

i will use skydrive for my other projects between individuals in different locations.

But the best solution would be a networked drive that can work over WAN.  I need to be able to work with the files in the actual folders they are in.  Not with some kind of two-step sync method (dropbox, skydrive).

I have a feeling this doesn't exist because it would basically lead to closed loop p2p activities.  But it sure would be cool to be able to access your friends' folders/files in a way that it appears as a regular folder in your file manager.  That seems to me to be a very convenient tool.

timns:
Re: setting up a VPN, I actually must've been really lucky. I had it up and running in a few minutes under Win2K3. Then a little script on each client to automatically connect to a shared drive on there, and we were off to the races.

skwire:
But the best solution would be a networked drive that can work over WAN.  I need to be able to work with the files in the actual folders they are in.  Not with some kind of two-step sync method (dropbox, skydrive).

I have a feeling this doesn't exist because it would basically lead to closed loop p2p activities.  But it sure would be cool to be able to access your friends' folders/files in a way that it appears as a regular folder in your file manager.  That seems to me to be a very convenient tool.-superboyac (February 22, 2011, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've already mentioned in your other thread that you can do this using Hamachi or NeoRouter, etc.  Install, create a private network with the two of you, map a shared folder and you're done.  However, if you're dealing with large files, you will be subject to your internet pipe's limits.

40hz:
I have a feeling this doesn't exist because it would basically lead to closed loop p2p activities.  But it sure would be cool to be able to access your friends' folders/files in a way that it appears as a regular folder in your file manager.  That seems to me to be a very convenient tool.
-superboyac (February 22, 2011, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe some of the private VPN apps like Hamachi will let you map a connected computer's folders and drives to your machine. Don't know if the free versions allow mapping. I know they definitely allow file transfers.

EDIT: Ignore the above.  Skwire answered sooner and better! :Thmbsup:

skwire:
I believe some if the private VPN apps like Hamachi will let you map a connected computer's folders and drives to your machine. Don't know if the free versions allow mapping. I know they definitely allow file transfers. -40hz (February 22, 2011, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

The free version allows mapping; I do it myself when I travel for business.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version