ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software to share To-Do lists?

<< < (2/8) > >>

timns:
It's probably just me, but I dislike those online collaboration sites. Unless it's installed on my PC, and shared on my VPN, I'm paranoid that one day it will all be lost.

Plus they all have that same soft, flabby Appley look don't they?  :P

40hz:
You could try Zoho Project. It's free for a single project with unlimited users.

Might have more features than you need, but there's nothing to say you have to use them all. And it doesn't cost anything to check it out.

Zoho Projects is an online project management software combined with collaboration and bug tracking that allows project teams to collaborate and get work done faster. Planning and Tracking helps you keep your project on schedule. Collaboration helps improve the communication within the team and keep everyone on the same page. And the new Bug Tracking module allows you to organize and track the bugs that software projects are bound to generate and fix them all in time.
--- End quote ---

Main page link here

Some screenshots. (More screens plus demo videos up on product page.)

Software to share To-Do lists?   Software to share To-Do lists?

We've been evaluating Zoho's offerings for one of our clients. So far, we're pretty impressed with what we're seeing.

If that's too heavy looking, they also have Zoho Planner which is a straight-up todo/reminder app. Mainpage here. Review here. Can't speak for this since I've never tried or formally evaluated Zoho Planner. It's frequently compared to 37Signal's product Backpack if that helps.

:)

Obligatory disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Zoho in any way, shape, or form.

40hz:
It's probably just me, but I dislike those online collaboration sites. Unless it's installed on my PC, and shared on my VPN, I'm paranoid that one day it will all be lost.

-timns (February 22, 2011, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hear you. :Thmbsup:

But unless you want to set up and administer your own server and VPN, it's pretty much your only choice.

FWIW, I used to feel that way about web apps. But over time (and now that most of the weaklings have been purged from the herd) I've grown to grudgingly accept that there are times when web apps aren't just a viable solution, they're also the only practical solution for many small businesses with tight (or nonexistent) IT budgets.

What can I say? Maybe things like Zoho aren't the ideal solution. But They're workable and affordable. And so far (knock wood) the big players all seem to be reliable.

Besides, when is anything ever ideal when it comes to small business deployments?  ;D

Plus they all have that same soft, flabby Appley look don't they? 
--- End quote ---

+1.  :Thmbsup:

In general, I don't care too much for that Fisher-Price Web 2.0 color pallet they all seem to gravitate towards. I prefer a darker solid color scheme myself. But supposedly there's been a lot of research that shows all that kiddie-toy blue and orange and purple and green is actually more restful for the eyes, and psychologically calming to the user.

Whatever... :-\

superboyac:
These are all entirely too complicated.  Not for me necessarily, but for my coworker.  Actually, for me also.  Forget it, we're just going to share an Excel file.

superboyac:
FWIW, I used to feel that way about web apps. But over time (and now that most of the weaklings have been purged from the herd) I've grown to grudgingly accept that there are times when web apps aren't just a viable solution, they're also the only practical solution for many small businesses with tight (or nonexistent) IT budgets.
-40hz (February 22, 2011, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've searched long and hard for an easy setup solution for a VPN.  But I haven't found anything.  everything is a pretty major hassle.  I must have at least two threads about this.  All I want is a way for me to share files and folders with other users.  Just like an ftp, but more smooth.  Like a networked drive...that actually works.  i don't need to be able to stream.  I just need to be able to read/write...for example, edit a word document through the VPN.  There's gotta be a way to do this, how has somebody not created a simple solution for this?  Why does everything have to be so painful to configure with this VPN stuff?  I don't see why it can't be like an ftp server/client thing.  You open the server program, setup the usernames/logins, ports, etc.  Then use a client or something that sets it up as a networked drive.  Why does all the rest of it have to be so...manual?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version