ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is Software for Hardware Always Sucky?

(1/5) > >>

Renegade:
GPS units. Phone connectivity software. etc. etc. Why is it always sucky? And why do companies make brand new crappy interfaces that are always confusing, and rarely let you get things done easily, if at all.

Once in a while, things work ok. But generally they use crummy wizard UIs and are horribly limited.

I'm in the process of updating my GPS units, and it's just a complete disaster with a trillion pieces of software to do different tasks. Why not have 1 good piece of software?

Am I alone in this? Does anyone else find the same?

vlastimil:
I noticed the same. Sometimes, it also applies to drivers of sound cards, or to some special notebook hardware and such.

Hard to say why is that. Maybe the main reason is that the people in charge have too much money to spend and desperately want to *see* where the money went. Instead of investing into testing and behind the hood feature, they want the "better" custom GUI.

cranioscopical:
I've rather assumed that it's because those companies are hardware oriented and see user interface software as just a last minute chore that has to be undertaken before rushing to market.

Eóin:
I always assumed it was to be flash, i.e. you couldn't possibly interact with our shiny new hardware through some drab efficient interface, here use our custom UI.

Stoic Joker:
I've rather assumed that it's because those companies are hardware oriented and see user interface software as just a last minute chore that has to be undertaken before rushing to market.-cranioscopical (February 22, 2011, 10:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I always assumed it was to be flash, i.e. you couldn't possibly interact with our shiny new hardware through some drab efficient interface, here use our custom UI.-Eóin (February 22, 2011, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Put these two together and I'd say that nails it. Engineering is guilty of the first one, and marketing the second.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version