ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is Software for Hardware Always Sucky?

<< < (5/5)

Target:
DRM or what?

This was posted on Techdirt last week Mouse requires net connection

pretty sad state of affairs when a 'generic' device (and a damn expensive one) isn't fully functional out of the box

Tinman57:
DRM or what?

This was posted on Techdirt last week Mouse requires net connection

pretty sad state of affairs when a 'generic' device (and a damn expensive one) isn't fully functional out of the box
-Target (November 11, 2012, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which is why I thank god for hackers.  I've bought software over the years that require an online connection to function, and I'm not always online, plus I don't want software that "reports" back to home base to get permission to use.

All of the software I've bought that uses this form of DRM I find a way to hack it, or send it back for a refund.  Personally I think it should be illegal for them to sell you anything that has to report home in order to use without advertising it on the software/hardware, and I'm not talking about tiny 6 point font either.  It should be bold emblazed on the front of the package and highlighted in the ad.

Personally I hope all of the companies that use this strategy goes down in a ball of fire.  And I hope that hackers continue to break their software/hardware so we can use it like we paid for.

Target:
Which is why I thank god for hackers.  I've bought software over the years that require an online connection to function, and I'm not always online, plus I don't want software that "reports" back to home base to get permission to use.

All of the software I've bought that uses this form of DRM I find a way to hack it, or send it back for a refund.  Personally I think it should be illegal for them to sell you anything that has to report home in order to use without advertising it on the software/hardware, and I'm not talking about tiny 6 point font either.  It should be bold emblazed on the front of the package and highlighted in the ad.-Tinman57 (November 11, 2012, 07:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

granted, but you should never have to rely on a hack to get full functionality out of a mouse, especially not one that costs almost $100...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version