ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Revisiting the idea of simplifying the DC big app license key stuff

<< < (10/13) > >>

jgpaiva:
Let's just assume we no longer have any use for the free license keys that people now donate -- all of the software new and old, big and small, runs without needing any license key at all, and has no date at which it will start "nagging" you to get a new free license key or donate.

Instead..

If you haven't run an update check in the program since the last 30 days, it will pop up a box that suggests that you run an update check and that you consider donating. (If you have run an update check every 30 days or so, you will see no messages).
-mouser (February 23, 2011, 08:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't think this is a good idea, especially for people who have lots of DC apps and are already a donor. You wouldn't want them to be frustrated with constant "update and donate" nagging. Consider the idea that the largest DC donor has 10 DonationCoder apps installed (not really that hard!): He'd have an "update and donate" popup coming up every 3 days! And on top of that, he already donated a lot. Honestly, I think it's hard to avoid the "free key", as you can't be nagging people who already support the software.

Paul Keith:
Let the users set the pop-up based on date or program usage frequency with an option to disable the pop-up.

mouser:
I don't think this is a good idea, especially for people who have lots of DC apps and are already a donor.
--- End quote ---
Quick clarification -- I meant to say that such messages would not be shown to donors who have put in a license key.

jgpaiva:
Paul: Now that you mention that, I've seen something very interesting somewhere about program usage frequency.
mouser: we could also add a "you've used this program for X hours" message to show the person how important the program is to them

jgpaiva:
I don't think this is a good idea, especially for people who have lots of DC apps and are already a donor.
--- End quote ---
Quick clarification -- I meant to say that such messages would not be shown to donors who have put in a license key.
-mouser (February 23, 2011, 08:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
What you mean is that donors get automatic update check (with no nags), whereas the "free users" need to manually update (and get a "please donate" message when they do?)? That actually doesn't sound half-bad :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version