ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Revisiting the idea of simplifying the DC big app license key stuff

<< < (7/13) > >>

mouser:
There is something else that DC needs to start doing, that we've talked about before, which is help the coders on the site find commercial work through the site, if that's something they are interested in.

Companies and people interested in having custom software developed do hang out at DC, and we need to make it easier for them to hook up with coders on the site that they might want to hire for custom work, that are interested in such things (I know I am).  DC can play a role here by providing clients with some assurance both about the quality of the coders, but by providing an informal support system -- a safety net -- so that coder and client alike know that they can get help and guidance if they need it.

Note that I'm not talking about any kind of paid service where DC would get a "cut" from any such work -- I'm just talking about a way that DC can give back to the coders who contribute to the site by helping them find paying work in addition to the free work that they do.

superboyac:
I'm considering starting a site for something like this.  But I'd have to get a cut of the sales.  I know that's going to turn a lot of you off, so I really have to think it over.  I'm not going to do it to get rich.  It's just my belief that I don't think it can be sustained otherwise.  I will try to think of a business model that makes be fair sense for all parties involved.  Basically, I'd like to be the middle man for the transactions and the business handling, and I'd like the developers to be able to freely focus on the product.  And I know that makes me sound like Jobs, but that's not what I want.  If it turns out to be that way, I will stop.  I don't want that.  I want it to be profitable, and I want to offer the talented developers here a way to focus on doing what they are good at and what they are talented in.  My talent is the business stuff so I would do that.  But I do know that my business beliefs tend to differ with a lot of people here, so I just want to be up front about that.  If I do it right I think it will be fun and profitable for everyone.  And I will do it in such a way where nobody is obligated to anyone.  I want it to be fair and fun.  This has probably already been tried and done before, and I'm probably not thinking about some prohibitive factor, but it's an idea I'd love to explore.

cranioscopical:
But can't pay even a dollar to help support the site?
-timns (February 22, 2011, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or even 10¢.  Agree with that but... perhaps can't access a mechanism by which to pay that 10¢?

timns:
But can't pay even a dollar to help support the site?
-timns (February 22, 2011, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Or even 10¢.  Agree with that but... perhaps can't access a mechanism by which to pay that 10¢?
-cranioscopical (February 22, 2011, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do have to agree with what you say too... but this same person has a PC, internet connection, is well-fed, housed, educated... implying there are always options. I think mouser hit the nail on the head: too 'hassley' somehow.

... or the person is a kid, in which case good - let's catch 'em young  8)

cranioscopical:
but this same person has a PC, internet connection, is well-fed, housed, educated
-timns (February 22, 2011, 06:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

The thought had occurred to me, timns, but there are people with low-end equipment, without a lot of money, using basic internet stuff. They're the ones who probably benefit most from free software. They're also the least likely to qulaify for means to make online payments.

Okay, I agree, not nearly so many as the lucky majority whom you describe and possibly too few to worry about.

I know that, when I first came to DC, I had to go and set up an account in order to make a donation, and the bother of that held me back for quite some time. (Now, you'll notice, I seldom hold back at all  ;))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version