ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Revisiting the idea of simplifying the DC big app license key stuff

<< < (5/13) > >>

mouser:
but does the link on the application take people directly to the key page?
--- End quote ---

yes it does.  but that key page is confusing to people.

worstje:
I only skimmed over this topic, but I think there is one distinction we should keep in mind. There is such a thing as donationware, and there is such a thing as nagware. The first of those gets sympathy, the latter gets plain hated upon no matter how noble the motives behind it.

but does the link on the application take people directly to the key page?
--- End quote ---

yes it does.  but that key page is confusing to people.
-mouser (February 22, 2011, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Then that page needs reworking to make it simpler.

jgpaiva:
I think option 3 transmits to the user that good warm feeling we all have for being a part of DC ;)

timns:
I really like that idea, but I think it might go against the motto that people who can't pay could have access to a fully-working copy. Personally I really like the "tell us how we can improve our software (or site?) and get a 6-month working key" option, it might bring some nice karma.
-jgpaiva (February 22, 2011, 11:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

But can't pay even a dollar to help support the site?

mouser:
worstje's point about nagware is important.. and it's hard to figure out a way to "remind" people to consider donating without becoming nagware.

timns said:
But can't pay even a dollar to help support the site?
--- End quote ---

i think this gets to what i've written about before -- i really don't think it's the donation amount that is the obstacle.. it's the amount of work involved to donate, and the fear of risking their financial information with some site they don't know about for such amount.

right now there is no easy way to solve that obstacle -- not until some of the big players make it effortless and worry free to make donations on the web.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version