ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Revisiting the idea of simplifying the DC big app license key stuff

<< < (2/13) > >>

superboyac:
DC has always been very supportive of anyone in its ranks making a go of selling software.
But I think there is something special about the free software community, and although DC may have a strange place in that community, i think part of our specialness and part of the fun we have is because of our commitment to it.  I don't think we want to lose that.  DC is *not* a proper business.  Our goal is not to maximize profits.  DC is not a full time job for anyone.  I think it would be a mistake to try to change that.

That's not to say that individual members shouldn't feel supportive if they try to go that route -- there is nothing dishonorable about selling software.  But as a site I don't think it should be our focus.

That's not to say there aren't ways for us to do things differently, just that i think we need to be true to ourselves and what makes us a special place.
-mouser (February 21, 2011, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
I see.  yes, I've noticed a strange disconnect between the way I think and how some of my favorite freeware developers think.  I'm always thinking, "Man!  it just doesn't make sense!!"  But if I now think about it more clearly, it's the same thing as me offering my piano playing services for whatever: banquets, parties, etc.  I don't get paid, and I refuse payment, etc....same thing.  I get it.  We get pleasure out of using our talents that way.  There's a comfort and satisfaction about it, and you don't get that from work.  Am i right?  is that how it is?

barney:
OK, take superboyac's concept and apply it not to the software, but to the effort by the programmer(s).  'Nother words, a payment for effort, not necessarily for results.  Conditions would have to be set, of course, but this could be a splinter of the main DC focus that might benefit both the author and the requester.

Yeah, there are wrinkles that would have to be worked out, but as a concept it ain't bad.  I've been to eCoder, et. al., more than once in order to get some bit accomplished that

* I wasn't qualified to do
* I didn't have time to doat the request of my then manager when I was in the corporate world.

Set up as a separate forum grouping, that just might be viable.

mouser:
superboy yes, you nailed it.  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
barney, i think the spirit of what you are saying is something that could be compatible with the site. That is, put some effort into making it easier for the coders on DC to be discovered and hired to do paid work by people who find them through DC.

vlastimil:
I guess all freeware is donationware. In most cases, the author has made the biggest donation of his/her time, electricity, distribution costs, etc. I believe non-programmers do not know how much effort (~money) does it take to create and maintain software. Maybe it would help if the costs were known to the end users. So, here is an idea: Before receiving the free license key, the user would be forced to view the page with costs and donations that would also list the freeware author as a donor (donating total costs minus sum of all other donations).

Not sure if something like that would work, it is just an untested idea. Some people would still leave, because they feel happier if they consider freeware completely free and hate to feel guilty of not helping.

Mouser, you have probably the biggest experience with donations, you gut feelings are the most accurate. On the other hand, if you were able to somehow measure the impact of those various incentivizing options, it would make a great blog post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version