ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2009

Mark Forster's Autofocus system becomes *Superfocus*

(1/3) > >>

tomos:
well actually this happened a long time ago, but because it wasnt announced via his newsletter, I missed it.
Now at version 3, given his own seal of approval just end of last week.

from Mark Forster's blog:

End of Testing SuperFocus v. 3
Rules for SuperFocus

(I've been using it for one day, and it seems to very effectively overcome the reasons I stopped using Autofocus)

Paul Keith:
Thanks tomos but it seems app has beaten Forster to the concept this time:

http://appsapps.info/screenshots/ToDoList.jpg

The only thing lacking in her software is that the right column is a done column rather than a ready to do plus she didn't implement pages to limit the list.

Oh and a crossed out line.

tomos:
The only thing lacking in her software is that the right column is a done column rather than a ready to do [...]
-Paul Keith (February 21, 2011, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's actually a very big difference Paul !
That second column is the reason this might work where Autofocus didnt (for me at any rate). The righthand column is for urgent tasks, and for started -but unfinished- tasks.
When you are working on a particular page you MUST do every task in the second column. That means you cant avoid urgent tasks  - and once you start a task it is prioritised so you have to keep going with it. So, for someone like me, who is a lazy beggar, there's incentive, there's pressure.

Just starting Day two - I like it.
That obviously dont mean much - yet.

Paul Keith:
I disagree but I'd just like to emphasize that I know where you are coming from.

We just have different values. To me saying that a 2nd column where the only difference is the wording is like saying I have a better system than Forster tailor made for you because I'm using a more than 2 column system. Even better it's a more than two column set of applications that can just as easily be replicated on paper.

But the reality is: mindmaps, grids, tables - they are already more than 2 columns and you can also have them simply as two columns. I even have a notebook where the back pages are stripes less disposable paper that has already an easy to tear line so the front serves as a bookmark/notebook and the back serves as a reminder/micro notes that can be teared off. Doesn't mean the notebook makes me any more or less productive than just using two pages of a normal notebook.

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm though and this is really just me uhh..."trying" to clarify concepts from my perspective and not so much directly criticizing Forster. (Plus I've said much harsher words elsewhere in the forum about AutoFocus so hopefully even if we disagree, you won't think I'm being insincere or trying to hijack the heart of the topic.)

tomos:
I disagree but [...]
-Paul Keith (February 22, 2011, 03:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Paul, eh, what do you disagree with?  :tellme:

I dont think you're being insincere, but I do have a very strong "huh?" reaction to both of your posts here.
Your first post suggests to me a complete lack of understanding of the system. Your second I dont follow - this is nothing todo with values, this is a system - if you think it's rubbish, that's fine, that's good even! - but please say why.

It's not rocket science, it's a fairly simple concept (but has lots of minor practical details worked through). Autofocus (AF) was also a simple concept, that, as I said, didnt work for me. This new one seems to have the minor details worked through where AF failed.
I'm not here to defend this new system - I'm just trying it out. So, I dont have a problem if you knock it. But I honestly dont understand the content of either of your posts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version