ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SSD usage recommendations

<< < (4/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Zoiks! That is a bit of a disturbing revelation. Apparently the only truly safe way to dispose of an old thumb-drive is with a hammer...  :-\

f0dder:
Zoiks! That is a bit of a disturbing revelation. Apparently the only truly safe way to dispose of an old thumb-drive is with a hammer...  :-\-Stoic Joker (February 22, 2011, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
I wonder if thumbdrives employ over-provisioning? The recent fast ones might have taken a few clues from how SSDs work, but I wouldn't be too worried with older/slower drives.

Then again, pendrives are damn cheap, so you might as well put a hammer to the ones you don't use anymore :)

Stoic Joker:
Zoiks! That is a bit of a disturbing revelation. Apparently the only truly safe way to dispose of an old thumb-drive is with a hammer...  :-\-Stoic Joker (February 22, 2011, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
I wonder if thumbdrives employ over-provisioning? The recent fast ones might have taken a few clues from how SSDs work, but I wouldn't be too worried with older/slower drives.
-f0dder (February 22, 2011, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

It seemed (to me) to be what the closing statement of the article was implying:
Right now, SSDs are most often encountered in USB thumb drives, and it's not unusual for them to hold as much as 32 GB of data. An increasing number of laptops by default ship with SSDs installed as the primary storage mechanism. Flash storage underpins that vast majority of smartphones, as well.-From the Article
--- End quote ---

Sure it could be a bit of a (sensational) stretch ... But there are just some conversations I don't want to have... ;)

f0dder:
Oh geez, I missed that highlighted part of the article. Hm. I wonder if the research was done with SSDs or thumbdrives...

Stoic Joker:
They were SSD's. There is a link at the bottom to a pdf of the quite detailed research paper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version