ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SSD usage recommendations

<< < (2/5) > >>

f0dder:
I suppose once off large builds like for the Boost Libraries could be done on a mechanical drive if I'm really bothered.-Eóin (February 21, 2011, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
Or a one-off ramdrive, it really helps speed up building boost.

SKA:
Eóin

You should know OCZ sneakily changed to ship 25nm SSDs under same name OCZ Vertex 2 , but which may not have same performance as 34nm versions sold earlier.    Read more about this here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/555242-ocz-shipping-25nm-ssds-customers-not-happy-over-lack-change.html  

SKA

Edit : just saw f0dder already told you of this issue via tomshardware link, sorry !

Eóin:
Hmmm, that's a bit sly. Anyway, it still seems to be the best of the choices I had availible so I'm not going to get upset  :)

edbro:
I just installed an SSD last week into my machine. I did not do a full install. I used a cloned copy of my previous install.

I moved my pagefile and my temp directories to my other hard drive in the system. I also have a 3Gb RAM disk and I direct my Chrome cache to that. Chrome is the only app I use the RAM disk for.

Renegade:
I was using 1GB for a RAM drive and had BSODs every now and then.-Renegade (February 21, 2011, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Which ramdisk product?

It also ran out of space when using Photoshop.-Renegade (February 21, 2011, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Photoshop is a pig :), but can't you redirect it's scratch locations to elsewhere but %TEMP%?
-f0dder (February 21, 2011, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

SoftPerfect RAM Disk

And It's just a pain to switch the disk up to a larger size or to change the disk if it runs short. For most things, it's ok. However, it's not uncommon to run out of space. I just can't be bothered, so I don't use it anymore.

Things have been fine since. (Photoshop is a pig, as always though.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version