ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google set to steal Opera's thunder yet again, decides to eliminate url bar

<< < (3/5) > >>

Renegade:
If they remove the URL/address bar, I'm gone. Period. I use Chrome for quite a bit, but with that? Forget it. Good-bye.

Renegade:
OK... I can't keep my mouth shut...

I suspect it's entirely to get people into Google to start. That pisses me off. I like being up front. This isn't it. Screen real estate isn't that poor.

Paul Keith:
Screen real estate isn't that poor.
--- End quote ---

I disagree. Chrome wants to brand themselves as the lightest browser right now because it's their strengths. That's how they got majority of their userbase despite constant early comments about Chrome not being anything special.

Removing the bar would still be suicide if the replacement fails. (as you said, you will leave for example)

But if they succeed - not only will you not leave, you'll complain how every other browser isn't as good as Chrome.

Let us not forget the fact that Chrome forced every major browser to have an overhaul in their interface in the attempt of mimicking Chrome's slightly more screen real estate and you could argue that even back then - screen real estate wasn't that poor either. Still caused Chrome to be a major influencer. (including most techies who hate Chrome but would now use something like Chromium over Firefox)

mouser:
Seems like a horrible idea to me -- just like this move to get rid of menu bars, etc. all seem like bad ideas to me.  Just give me a standard user interface and stop all this obsession with hiding everything.

Paul Keith:
Yeah, it is a horrible idea but it is a horrible idea that has allowed Chrome to get all the attention and force Opera to adopt this into a horrible red O icon at the top left or forced Firefox to finally take their memory hogging issues much much more seriously so I don't blame them and in fact applaud them for taking that risk.

After all if everyone were say using Anuran and then PopUp Wisdom arrived, you could easily say the same thing of:

Seems like a horrible idea to me -- just like this move to get rid of AnuVu, etc. all seem like bad ideas to me.  Just give me a standard notepad interface and stop all this obsession with hiding everything in text files.

If Google screws up, good. Sure is a hell of a lot better than Opera screwing their users by not changing things to their user demands until the competition wisens up. Same thing with Netscape. Screwed up? Thank god cause we ended up having Firebird.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version