ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

EPSON Perfection V330 Photo Scanner + ABBYY and ArcSoft software

<< < (2/2)

IainB:
@tomos: Thanks, yes, I had already googled and turned up 2 third-party possibilities - VueScan and 1 other (I forget the name and could not quickly find it in my browser history when I looked just now).
Of those 2:
(a) VueScan: was a dead-end because it required "an HP driver" for the ScanJet 3400C, and there is no such thing for Windows7 (QED).
(b) The 1 other: similarly required a driver, but it was some obscure open source driver that, when I went to look it up, apparently did not support the ScanJet 3400C. Another dead-end.

So it seems that HP really have succeeded in killing off this model of scanner. Only a software developer who understood the arcane art of scanner drivers could hack their way out of this one, and that's not me.

@ cranioscopical:
"You might find some local volunteer group that would be pleased to have it."
--- End quote ---
Well, I could, but I don't think I'd give a white elephant to a charity to dispose of for me. That could be a bit unfair really...    :)

I actually give stacks of stuff to local charities - my own and other people's stuff. You see, I live in an apartment block and I regularly scour the recycling bins and rescue all sorts of useful stuff and take it to the charity shops for them to give away or sell. They only want electrical appliances that work. (It's amazing what good stuff - often in as-new condition - some people throw away. I often shop in these charity shops as well.)

You have got me thinking though. I think I might look around for a local volunteer group that could help me to rehabilitate people who have had to go through the forced obsolescence of their trusty HP ScanJet 3400C flatbed scanner...    :(

cranioscopical:
I don't think I'd give a white elephant to a charity to dispose of for me-IainB
--- End quote ---

A lot of people are still running XP, won't it work under that?
I wasn't thinking of giving it to a charity for disposal, rather finding a volunteer group of some kind that might find it useful.
It's probably a lost cause  :(

]help me to rehabilitate people who have had to go through the forced obsolescence of their trusty HP ScanJet 3400C-IainB
--- End quote ---

Help them to take arms against a C of troubles?

IainB:
@cranioscopical:
"Help them to take arms against a C of troubles?"
--- End quote ---
Har-de-har. Very punny. You get a C+ for that one.      ;)

cranioscopical:
@cranioscopical:
"Help them to take arms against a C of troubles?"
--- End quote ---
Har-de-har. Very punny. You get a C+ for that one.      ;)
-IainB (February 22, 2011, 12:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I c'd the point.

IainB:
Just posted this here as it is relevant:
Re: free ABBYY Screenshot Reader
I had my wires crossed on this. Have just straightened them out after reading my installation notes and double-checking program versions:

The thing is, the Christmas giveaway version is actually quite an old version.

* Believing it to be the latest version at the time, on 2011-12-14 I installed the FREE ABBY Screenshot Reader "RETAIL" (Christmas giveaway) software from http://fr7.abbyy.com/ScreenshotReader/ScreenshotReader_ESD.exe
It turned out that this "RETAIL" version is apparently an older version (v9.0.0.1331) to the one I had already installed with my EPSON scanner (see below).
So I uninstalled it without hiccup on 2012-01-22, as it was duplication with file of approx. 330Mb and it duplicated a licence server service (you cannot seem to run the ABBY software without having that service running). One less overhead.

* The apparently newer version (v9.0.0.1354) was actually installed almost a year earlier on 2011-02-20, as part of the EPSON scanner install +ABBY FineReader 9.0 Sprint software.
I posted about the excellent scanner and associated software (including screenshots of the ABBY Screenshot Reader OCR output) in DCF:
EPSON Perfection V330 Photo Scanner + ABBY and ArcSoft software on: 2011-02-20, 20:21:30.

The conclusion to all this is:

* (a) If you do not already have the ABBY Screenshot Reader, then get the FREE ABBY Screenshot Reader "RETAIL" (Christmas giveaway) software from http://fr7.abbyy.com/ScreenshotReader/ScreenshotReader_ESD.exe (if it is still available).
It is an excellent and useful piece of software.   :Thmbsup:

* (b) If you (like me) already have ABBY software installed/bundled with a scanner install, then check to see what version of ABBY Screenshot Reader you might have had installed with it, before (like me) making the mistake of downloading a possibly older Christmas giveaway version.
My scanner-installed version was v9.0.0.1354 (a newer version).
The 2011-12 Christmas giveaway version was v9.0.0.1331 (an older version).-IainB (August 09, 2012, 10:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version