ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is now the best dialog box enhancer/extender?

(1/6) > >>

rjbull:
Please, what is or are the best dialog box enhancer/extender(s) on recent versions of Windows?

The excellent DonationCoder Review: Best Open/Save Dialog Box Extenders was written in 2005 and last updated in October 2006.  Many things have changed since then, in particular, new versions of Windows; XP has been replaced by Vista (I have 32-bit Vista) and Vista itself replaced by Win 7.  Some of the programs mentioned in the review have been updated while some seem to have been more or less abandoned.  New ones may have appeared; the author of AcFolders even announced his program here and said that he had taken note of the DC review in making it in AcFolders - new file-open dialog box extender, but it has only one other brief mention on DC that I can see, in Any dialog extenders (like FileBox Extender) for 64-bit Win 7?.  Other DC threads on dialog box extenders include:

* Revisiting (XfilesDialog, File-Ex, Direct Folders)
* Sweet! Direct Folders 3.0 released :)
* Enhanced File Dialog
I run Listary, the Pro version which has favourite folders, but its main focus is on improved searching through file lists, and it doesn't have a recent folders list.  Development might have stalled, too.  I could go back to PowerPro, but it's not as happy on Vista (at least with UAC On) as it was on XP, and the thought of wrestling with its configuration again is daunting.  Further, neither Listary nor PowerPro support Total Commander like some of the others do, notably Direct Folders.

As I'm going round in circles, I'll repeat the first line: Please, what is or are the best dialog box enhancer/extender(s) on recent versions of Windows?

timns:
I tried a couple of those and settled on DirectFolders. It's simple, seems to always pop-up when it's supposed to, and has a couple of nice side-tweaks that I like. For instance you can double click a lister in DOpus, and DF switches the currently open dialog to that path.

hpearce:
I use direct folders too .... bascially just the dialog resizing

ahhh yes, with the CLICK SWITCH option checked ... never noticed that before :|

lanux128:
i was quite happy with FlashFolder on WinXP, but it is not compatible with Win7 so had to change to Direct Folders, mainly due to its click-switch function.

moonwatcher:
I really liked FlashFolder and - like many other users - was very disappointed to see the development of that great tool coming to a halt.

And totally against my expectations, there are some promising news from FF's developer:

I think I have to finally finish this Win7 stuff so I can step on with other projects without having sth. in my back that bothers me ;-). Win7 / x64 code is technically already done and working quite good on my and a friends machine. I'm currently working on some minor quality issues and final touches. I plan to finish all this before spring (it's very little time, considering the time you already had to wait ;-p ).
--- End quote ---
(http://bit.ly/hHRCLE, 2011-01-24)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version