ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DVCS ? (All about Git, Mercurial-Hg and the like...)

<< < (34/39) > >>

ewemoa:
BTW, there was a finally a concrete case here for using Stacked Git.  For maintaining a number of simple patches to some "upstream" it is working pretty well here.  There is even an Emacs interface (perhaps a second one that works with magit -- though that's not what I've tried).

Trying to keep the patches "grouped" isn't something I've figured out though -- heard that topgit might be better for that sort of thing, but so far don't know how to work sanely with the generated history so have been sticking to Stacked Git.

Anyone else using this type of thing?

Armando:
Unfortunately no luck reaching the three under "Lots of screencasts/videos… Here are some interesting URLs with a few fun tricks"...
-ewemoa (October 20, 2014, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're right, seems like the screencasts have been removed.

I haven't been coding for a little while  :( ...   so... have no experience with Stacked Git. Sounds interresting...

Deozaan:
Anyone know of a modern comparison between Git and Mercurial? A few years ago when I first looked into them, they were both fairly new, and git hardly even worked on Windows. At the time, as a Windows user, Mercurial was the clear winner as far as ease of use and friendly tools to make the commandline stuff easier/unnecessary.

But both Git and Mercurial have been heavily developed over the years, adding who knows what features. And with the popularity of github, Git and tools for it have become developed enough that it may be worth revisiting this decision for future coding projects. I'd like to see an up to date, modern comparison of their features and tools, as I'm considering making the switch from Mercurial to Git if I feel it's worth it. Unfortunately, all my searches just give me links/information dated anywhere from 2008-2012, which was within the range of time when I originally did my research and chose Mercurial.

So, I repeat, does anyone know of a good, modern comparison of Git and Mercurial?

Armando:
I don't think I'd change my versioning system if I was already using Mercurial, unless I was going to work with people using Git (which means: a lot of programmers). If I was free to choose though, I'd probably choose Git again.  :)  I like it and SmartGit/Hg makes it a breeze to use. But that's not answering your question.

Since I haven't been looking for comparisons in the last couple years, I googled a bit and the trend is definitely gitty. Probably because of GitHub, but there are also other technical (and historical) reasons that are probably not that meaningful anymore these days, from a usability perspective (i.e. reasons that don't translate into real technical advantages -- Mercurial and Git constantly improve and play "catch up"). If anything, Git seems here to stay, and Mercurial doesn't seem to be gaining much popularity, despite its facebook adoption.

Anyway, I could post many links, but I didn't find any long, interesting, in depth, technical or "sociological" comparison. I'm Curious if anyone will find anything great from late 2014 or 2015.

I guess the question is now mostly "what do you need for that specific job". Are you dissatisfied with Mercurial?

Deozaan:
My question mostly arises from the fact that since Git is the clear popular DVCS, there are new technologies/services being built to be used in conjunction with Git. My specific use/need/desire to make the transition from Mercurial to Git is that I do most of my coding for the Unity game engine, and they've recently-ish started a service called Cloud Build which will check your repository for changes, and then automatically make builds of your game for multiple platforms.

They fully support Git, and have for several months. Even on the free plan. Mercurial support was only added within about the past month, and it's locked behind a $100/mo paywall.

But I've been using Mercurial for years and am a little hesitant to just hop on over to Git. I would want to make sure that all the features that I make regular use of in Hg are (easily) available in Git. For example, I use TortoiseHg and I make liberal use of the "Shelve" feature, as well as what I'm going to call "selective commit" since I don't know the name of it. Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

See how I unchecked the box so that change won't be included in the commit? It's important for me to be able to do something like that in Git about as easily as I can in TortoiseHg. I can also shelve things as entire files or selectively like that as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version