ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DVCS ? (All about Git, Mercurial-Hg and the like...)

<< < (24/39) > >>

Armando:
Never said thanks ...  :)
Will take a look at Magit.  :Thmbsup:

ewemoa:
This may be documented somewhere, but since it caught me by surprise...

I noticed that if:

* there is a selection of files in the Files view of the main project
* the File view has focus
* a commit is initiated
The commit appears to include the selected files even if changes from them have not been registered with the index.

This seems like it can be convenient at times (as well as a good reminder to check the list of files that have changes in the commit dialog), but I think over time it's likely that it will lead to unintentional changes making it into commits.

I'm not sure yet what happens if there is a file selected (AND the Files view has focus) AND the file has some changes registered with the index, and then a commit is executed. the whole file from the working tree appears to get staged -- so all changes seem to get committed.

FWIW, my brief exploration of the preferences didn't turn up any option to disable this behavior.

Armando: Hope you got a chance to check out magit.

ewemoa:
Did my first interactive rebase today -- great stuff  :up:

Wanted to see if SmartGit has some nice GUI for it and found:

http://smartgit.3668570.n2.nabble.com/Interactive-rebasing-td7572897.html

Don't know if there's anything there yet -- have you come across anything?
-ewemoa (November 24, 2012, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Based on:

What's New in SmartGit/Hg 4?

Looks like there is more support for interactive rebasing in version 4.x:

Before pushing, you can cleanup your commits visually (except of merge commits): reorder commits by using drag and drop, join adjacent commits or edit commit messages.

--- End quote ---

Screenshot:

http://www.syntevo.com/smartgithg/version-4/pushable-commits-dnd.png

Below are some screenshots:

editing commit messages

joining commits

reordering commits via dragging and dropping

In each case, this was for commits that have not been pushed (anywhere?) yet.

ewemoa:
Came across the following SmartGitHg docs:

Modifying the History

Sections for:

* Modifying the last commit
* Merging the last two commits
* Splitting the last commit into two
* Modifying older commits
* Merging and splitting older commits
* Reordering commits
A brief reading suggests the content may not have been updated for the version 4 series (e.g. no mention of "joining commits").

However, since the current release of version 4 doesn't appear to support the bold-faced sections in as convenient a fashion as the non-bold-faced ones, the docs still seems potentially useful.

Haven't tested the instructions yet so not sure if any of the bold-faced section steps are easier than using interactive rebasing from the command line.

Armando:
Thanks for the updates, Ewemoa. V4 seems like it's bringing useful features to the table. I'll see if I have the time to update today.

(Also : the "Blame" command is very useful for debugging. I've used quite a few times.)

The commit appears to include the selected files even if changes from them have not been registered with the index.
-ewemoa (December 30, 2012, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is quite true. I made a few mistakes in the past. I don't find it that annoying though as I forces me to be more vigilant when I commit -- i.e. review each changes made to the code before indexing & committing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version