ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DVCS ? (All about Git, Mercurial-Hg and the like...)

<< < (14/39) > >>

ewemoa:

With all that said, I’ve considered creating a Mercurial extension that adds git’s index functionality to Mercurial, because I think it would make the transition to Mercurial easier for git users. I’ve had enough experience with Mercurial’s internals to know that such a thing is possible, but I simply don’t have the time to do it all myself. If you’re interested in helping out please let me know!
-http://stevelosh.com/blog/2010/01/the-real-difference-between-mercurial-and-git/
--- End quote ---

...  So maybe this index isn't that useless after all. :)
-Armando (May 09, 2011, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
BTW, have you seen the same author's post on Mercurial Queues?

A Git User’s Guide to Mercurial Queues

Stacked Git and guilt look interesting too.

Armando:
Thanks for the guilt and Stacked Git links. I'll have a look at those during the weekend.  :up:

Yes, I think I read "everything" Losh wrote (when available...) about Mercurial and Git. This article is actually what pushed me to experiment with MQ "at the time". I actually mention therethat I liked MQ.

There are many good articles on MQ (like Mercurial queues just clicked )

And there's this great blog article (also fairly recent -- recommended) :  Mercurial and Git: a technical comparison. Probably nothing you wouldn't learn by reading a few books on Git or Mercurial... but that's exactly the point. A few books is sometimes too much.

In the comments, the author intelligently compares MQ to the Git index/staging area :

Thanks for the comments, and for the link to Mercurial Queues. It's true that queues are something that Git doesn't have; but then again, they're not needed in Git because it has (cheap) branches and you can reorder the commits afterwards.

However, using Mercurial Queues is definitely not the same as using the Git index, nor should it be confused as such. Yes, using Queues can enable you to do (local) feature branching (which is good) but Git's index is the set of things you are *about* to commit.

A case in point: I was merging the old Mac ZFS code and the onnv_72 code, which involved a significant merge set (see https://github.com/alblue/mac-zfs/commit/6d20fbb74f11a). Putting the changeset into perspective: "Showing 604 changed files with 422,503 additions and 1,496 deletions" is the message that GitHub shows.

There is no way I would have been able to commit that with Mercurial Queues. For a start, 100-200 files were in conflict, which would mean either (a) putting some changes in with the conflict markers in place, or (b) backing out the merge node and applying changes incrementally, i.e. doing a manual merge.

However, using the Git index, I was able to solve one conflicted file at a time, and add it into the git index when I had de-conflicted that file. The git status was then able to tell me those files which were different from the index (i.e. those ones which I hadn't de-conflicted yet) and as such, give me a progress report on how far down the de-confliction line was. Once I had all conflicts addressed, and added into the git index, I was able to commit the merge node separately.

So don't get me wrong; I think if you have to use Hg then an extension like Queues (and histedit etc.) are absolutely necessary tools to have at your disposal. But they just replace built in functions of the git tree structure and in no way are able to replace the index.
--- End quote ---

ewemoa:
Thanks for the additional links :)

To diverge a bit, I'm taking a look at etckeeper -- a tool to manage a *nix (hmm, not sure about the *BSDs) system's configuration info via a DVCS.  Looks like it's supposed to work with Git, Bazaar, Mercurial, and Darcs.  Perhaps for folks who are looking after certain types of systems, this kind of thing might be an entry point into learning to use one of the DVCS systems.

ewemoa:
Came across gource -- "a software version control visualization tool" -- anyone tried it out?

Sample videos and screenshots :)

phitsc:
Does it have any value other than just looking damn cool?

Looks more like a tool to do art than work ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version