ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DVCS ? (All about Git, Mercurial-Hg and the like...)

<< < (12/39) > >>

Armando:
Looking forward to any observations :)
-ewemoa (May 18, 2011, 10:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had to keep my old routine for now as I had to get things done... But I still plan to use SmartGit more. Will keep you posted.

BTW, I wanted to search the history of a project via the log window and was stumped initially.  I learned that "search as you type" (they call this speed-search apparently) seems to work.  Was this obvious to you?  I didn't find this in the docs...it was again via a posting to that support list.

Then I spent a while trying to figure out how to search for subsequent occurrences -- finally after trying a variety of combinations, I hit on using the down (for next) and up (for previous) arrow keys...feels odd but at least something works.
--- End quote ---

Wow, nope, I didn't know about the search as you type feature.
Thanks for sharing all this!
Yes, the arrows do feel a bit odd, but I'll get use to it.

On a related note, I've started to investigate gitk and am noticing that it seems to produce more search results than SmartGit for the same search terms in some cases.  It appears that SmartGit doesn't load all commits [1] by default and the searching only seems to take place over what's loaded -- once sufficiently more commits are loaded, additional search results seem to come up...

[1] Found a "Load all commits" menu item via the Query menu.
--- End quote ---

Again, nice find.  :up:

Armando:
oops... And I forgot to share that new link. A few good things in it.

Exit SVN, Enter Git

syntevo:
Hello,

I'm Thomas Singer from syntevo, one of the developers of SmartGit. I was drawn attention to this thread.

Dunno which app(s), though - I wasn't all impressed when I checked out SmartGit, but can't remember exactly why, guess I'll give it another chance. I think my 'meh' was partially causes by the program being implemented in Java, and (worse) not having an option to use the system JDK but installing it's own separate copy.-f0dder (March 08, 2011, 03:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
SmartGit offers three download bundles for Windows, the default one which includes a Java Runtime Environment (so the normal users are using a tested JRE version), one without a bundled JRE (requires an installed one) and a portable one with JRE (stores its settings in the same directory structure, so it can be installed on an USB stick).

It does miss some other important ones though, like “blame”, “stash”, “clone –bare” (last one : surprising, to say the least… Unless I missed something [I did miss the "stash" command which was very obvious  :-[ ] ).-Armando (March 15, 2011, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
"blame" is on our todo-list. Could you please explain the use-case behind "clone --bare"? Isn't a bare repository usually located on a server without GUI?

I did encounter a few problems and solving these problems meant dropping to the command line. E.g. : how do you "correct" a rebase that’s stalled… and won't abort nor continue ? hmmmm...  8)-Armando (March 15, 2011, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Do you mean, that SmartGit sometimes hangs during a rebase? This bug has been fixed in version "2.1 early-access build 5". This was caused by Git trying to open an editor and waiting for it to exit.

The manual is ok, but not as clear as Tortoise’s, IMHO. Very dry, almost no graphs… and so it remains slightly abstract. I’d almost rather read Git’s man pages (not bad at all btw).-Armando (March 15, 2011, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
You are right, our manual is a weak spot.

On a related note, I've started to investigate gitk and am noticing that it seems to produce more search results than SmartGit for the same search terms in some cases.  It appears that SmartGit doesn't load all commits [1] by default and the searching only seems to take place over what's loaded -- once sufficiently more commits are loaded, additional search results seem to come up...

[1] Found a "Load all commits" menu item via the Query menu.-ewemoa (May 18, 2011, 10:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
"Load all commits" does not load all commits from the repository (which might be too large), but instead loads commits which are not reachable from a branch or tag any more, e.g. those which remain after performing an amend-commit. Maybe one has a better name suggestion?

Yes, the arrows do feel a bit odd, but I'll get use to it.-Armando (May 19, 2011, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
What shortcut did you expect? What we can do to make the "search-as-you-type" feature more noticeable?

Cheers,
Tom

Armando:
Thanks a lot for stopping by! You have a great product, that's for sure.  :up:
I'll take the time to read everything tonight or tomorrow and give you well deserved feedback.
Thanks.

Armando:
Since I'm running out of time, I'll have to be brief but might be able to expand during the weekend.

It does miss some other important ones though, like “blame”, “stash”, “clone –bare” (last one : surprising, to say the least… Unless I missed something [I did miss the "stash" command which was very obvious  :-[ ] ).-Armando (March 15, 2011, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
"blame" is on our todo-list. Could you please explain the use-case behind "clone --bare"? Isn't a bare repository usually located on a server without GUI?
-syntevo (May 19, 2011, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice to know blame is on the todo list.
As for the "clone --bare" use-case... If I remember correctly, I think I was toying with the idea of using Dropbox as a Git repository/server and wanted to clone my current working directory to the Dropbox folder. I don't remember all the details at the moment. I'll see if I can find more details later.

I did encounter a few problems and solving these problems meant dropping to the command line. E.g. : how do you "correct" a rebase that’s stalled… and won't abort nor continue ? hmmmm...  8)-Armando (March 15, 2011, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Do you mean, that SmartGit sometimes hangs during a rebase? This bug has been fixed in version "2.1 early-access build 5". This was caused by Git trying to open an editor and waiting for it to exit.
--- End quote ---

That must be it. I will Download the latest version. Thanks for the heads up.
I think I also had another problem with rebase -- not sure. I'll have to checkout my notes and maybe try to reproduce the problem later... that is, if there was a problem.

The manual is ok, but not as clear as Tortoise’s, IMHO. Very dry, almost no graphs… and so it remains slightly abstract. I’d almost rather read Git’s man pages (not bad at all btw).-Armando (March 15, 2011, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
You are right, our manual is a weak spot.
--- End quote ---

SmartGit is pretty feature rich. It would greatly benefit from a better manual where all features are clearly documented. A few interface images would be good too...

Yes, the arrows do feel a bit odd, but I'll get use to it.-Armando (May 19, 2011, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
What shortcut did you expect? What we can do to make the "search-as-you-type" feature more noticeable?
--- End quote ---

As you probably know, a lot of Windows applications (text editors, IDEs) use F3 and Shift/ctrl+F3 to move to next/previous occurrence (can't talk about Linux or Mac as I haven't really worked with those in the last couple years and I forgot...). I couldn't say for sure what the standard is, but F3 is what I'm used to... Hence the "awkward" feel.

That said, it's probably not a big deal if everything is documented properly or easily discovered (tooltips or whatever). Arrows are perfectly fine if one knows what they're supposed to do. Documentation is key here.

Other small points I can think of:

- Some other shortcuts feel a bit weird. E.g.: Ctrl+T for staging. I immediately changed it for Alt+Enter, and Ctrl+Alt+Enter for editing the index, which seems much more natural when reviewing changes using Alt+Arrows. This is personal of course... but just saying.

- After staging some content, the focus always moves to the newly staged file, which interrupts the "files modifications reviewing". There might be a way to prevent that but I haven't found it. Question: Could the focus remain at the top of the list and not move? When reviewing files before committing , it's inconvenient to always have to move back to the top of the file list or where the other file to review is located. But like I said, I'm aware that I might be missing something.

And last one for today (something  super minor that occurred to me while using SmartGit this morning):

- Some tooltips seem too verbose.
E.g., in the files section/table : "if selected,  unchanged files will be shown".
Why not simply : "Show unchanged files" ? It's more "to the point" IMO.

Like I said, it's minor, but... the devil is in the details!

Thanks for your attention.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version