ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DVCS ? (All about Git, Mercurial-Hg and the like...)

<< < (11/39) > >>

ewemoa:
A peripheral SmartGit remark:

It does miss some other important ones though, like “blame”, “stash”, “clone –bare” (last one : surprising, to say the least… Unless I missed something).
-Armando (March 15, 2011, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW, it looks like there is some kind of stash support (at least in the 2.x series):

DVCS ? (All about Git, Mercurial-Hg and the like...)

Armando:
You're right! I actually discovered the stashing capabilities after writing what I wrote and forgot to edit it. I'll do that now. Thanks ewemoa.

ewemoa:
Another SmartGit bit (no, I have no relationship with the product or company :) )...

1- some kind of optional “console like” textual feedback, some commands log view, like the one Git extensions provides (see #4). That would be good (maybe is that a secretly available option but… I didn’t find it).
-Armando (March 15, 2011, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not quite what you may have been looking for, but if you look in the .settings directory, there is a file named "log.txt" which contains various details.  Perhaps better than nothing...

From the online docs there was this general info:

log.txt contains debug log information. It's configured via log4j.properties.

--- End quote ---

From a SmartGit support list: GIT commands sent by SmartGit:

Is it possible or configurable to view the Git commands executed by SmartGit somewhere? It would be awesome if they were displayed in the status bar or a console popup.

--- End quote ---

You can find the executed Git commands (and the output of the Git command) in SmartGit's log.txt.

--- End quote ---

Armando:
Thanks ! Cool. Yes, this is certainly better than nothing (in Git Extensions, all commands are apparent so it is very transparent)... and I should've looked for a log file. Bad me.

From your post, this says it all :
It would be awesome if they were displayed in the status bar or a console popup.
--- End quote ---

This is a bit too well hidden IMO (even the mention of that log in the online docs!).
My log file is in not in the .setting directory but in \Application Data\syntevo\SmartGit\2.

Anyway... considering all that, SmartGit is probably what I'll try to use more in the next week.

ewemoa:
My log file is in not in the .setting directory but in \Application Data\syntevo\SmartGit\2.
-Armando (May 18, 2011, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ah, my bad...Perhaps it's in .settings for me because I'm using the portable version.

Anyway... considering all that, SmartGit is probably what I'll try to use more in the next week.

--- End quote ---
Looking forward to any observations :)

BTW, I wanted to search the history of a project via the log window and was stumped initially.  I learned that "search as you type" (they call this speed-search apparently) seems to work.  Was this obvious to you?  I didn't find this in the docs...it was again via a posting to that support list.

Then I spent a while trying to figure out how to search for subsequent occurrences -- finally after trying a variety of combinations, I hit on using the down (for next) and up (for previous) arrow keys...feels odd but at least something works.

On a related note, I've started to investigate gitk and am noticing that it seems to produce more search results than SmartGit for the same search terms in some cases.  It appears that SmartGit doesn't load all commits [1] by default and the searching only seems to take place over what's loaded -- once sufficiently more commits are loaded, additional search results seem to come up...

[1] Found a "Load all commits" menu item via the Query menu.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version