ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DVCS ? (All about Git, Mercurial-Hg and the like...)

<< < (8/39) > >>

f0dder:
Nice that you're continuing with this - appreciated :)

I still don't have a definitive favorite wrt. GUIs. TortoiseGit, gitk and git-gui all feel a bit rough around the edges. I'm not sure exactly what it is, probably the overall combination of several smaller flaws ("mid 90's linux GUI look", progress not always updated before the command is done (related to calling git.exe and parsing textual output?), et cetera).

PS: "The sluggishness is probably" -> ends mid-sentence.

Armando:
Nice that you're continuing with this - appreciated :)
-f0dder (March 15, 2011, 03:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're welcome.

I still don't have a definitive favorite wrt. GUIs. TortoiseGit, gitk and git-gui all feel a bit rough around the edges. I'm not sure exactly what it is, probably the overall combination of several smaller flaws ("mid 90's linux GUI look", progress not always updated before the command is done (related to calling git.exe and parsing textual output?), et cetera).
--- End quote ---

I agree. Except for SmartGit maybe, they all feel a but rough. Yes, it is a combination of several factors : look, responsiveness and speed, etc.

Sometimes the UI feels a bit scattered. I find this is especially true with Tortoise Git.

PS: "The sluggishness is probably" -> ends mid-sentence.
--- End quote ---

Thanks. I'll have to re-read the whole thing as it was pretty late when I wrote it!

Armando:
Here's what I plan to talk about/explore next time (in a few days probably... but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have other related discussions in between ;) ) :

i. Git's Index
ii. File renaming (indexing/staging corollary)
iii. Code/Txt move detection (related to indexinq)
iv. Branching
v. Merqinq
vi. Other more subtle differences between Hg/Git
vii. Expendability
viii. Collaboration tools
ix. Commands
x. Hosting sites

Armando:
(Modified the format of previous long posts for better readability. Added a comment about TortoiseGit and its inability to stage before committing ... unless I missed something. I must say that this is a feature I enjoy using with Git GUI : select all the lines/changes you want to stage (i.e.: put in the index) in the different files, and commit)

Shades:
I follow this thread with great interest, but lack of time got me never further than actually using the software.

So keep up the good work!  :Thmbsup:

I do have a question though: I assume it is possible to search for a particular change by a particular user using any of the GUI tools?
(the lack of that option is something I absolutely hate from WinCVS / CVS (which I am forced to work with).)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version