ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DVCS ? (All about Git, Mercurial-Hg and the like...)

<< < (4/39) > >>

Armando:
In relation to what f0dder said...

First, there's no way to really tell when a file modification is done and complete - the best heuristic you could go by is "file has been modified, and now hasn't been additionally modified for n seconds".

Second, you don't want commits based on random modifications - at least when programming, you'll often be doing a related set of changes across a few files, and then commit that. Think of it as not commiting files, but committing features :)
-f0dder (March 02, 2011, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

"Auto-committing" isn't the way to go... But an option/feature in Tortoise to just popup a reminder after n file modifications in a specific timeframe would definitely be useful, especially since it can't integrate with all IDE (or whatever) out there.

Wouldn't that be a sound feature request ? Would you use it ?

Ath:
Wouldn't that be a sound feature request ? Would you use it ?
-Armando (March 03, 2011, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, some language/tools/developers using vcs controlled source induce so many changes, that can be relatively unimportant, but need to be checked in at one moment, while in another environment, a single line changed can make a world of difference that needs to be committed at once. So change-counting doesn't count :P

Armando:
Nope, some language/tools/developers using vcs controlled source induce so many changes, that can be relatively unimportant, but need to be checked in at one moment, while in another environment, a single line changed can make a world of difference that needs to be committed at once. So change-counting doesn't count :P
-Ath (March 03, 2011, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure, in a way change-counting doesn't... count. But in my relative and very imperfect world, it does.

And why couldn't one adjust the parameters depending on the project ? (A simple backup comparison: some backups need to be real time or performed every few min, but others can be performed monthly.)

I understand perfectly well why one would never want to commit randomly. However, I'd vastly prefer to be slightly annoyed by a pop-up from time to time, than potentially loose several hours of work, or simply find myself committing a huge chunk of code that should've been split in smaller part... because I forgot to commit my work.  :)

Of course I could then rely on autover, AJC or File Hamster. But... Far from ideal.

---

On another note : I wish I could rely on the icon overlay... But they are slightly unreliable here. They change only on F5, and sometimes they don't. I have to open/close the repo/folder for them to update.

Ath:
They change only on F5, and sometimes they don't. I have to open/close the repo/folder for them to update.
-Armando (March 03, 2011, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's related to 2 things: Settings in the TortoiseXX tooling (Check out 'Icon overlays'), and the sometimes flaky icon-cache of Windows (including Win7)

Armando:
Thanks.
I read a few things about overlays,  but nothing seemed to really apply. I turned ON the "Local Disks Only" setting and see if it helps. (Explorer extension settings --> icons)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version