topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SEO funny businees I'm involved in. Thoughts?  (Read 4559 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SEO funny businees I'm involved in. Thoughts?
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:26 PM »
People, check this out.  I felt compelled to write articles about the NBA, so I volunteered my services to some stranger to write articles for a new website.  I posted it in an announcement here.  Well, I don't know any of these guys, but I think they are involved in the SEO business.  Now, I have no problem with that.  I just like that they set up a website and I just have to write articles.  It helps me relax, it's an outlet.  I have a love/hate relationship with being a fan of professional sports.

Anyway, I've always sort of wondered about those bullshit websites out there that just have tons of odd articles that seem to be written by a human, but then sometimes not really.  Well, I was "investigating" the companies these strangers work for, and I found this description on one of their services offered pages:
2. Content Creation
As we’ve mentioned before, content is key to any search marketing campaign. Therefore, there are three content areas that we will target:

1. On-Site Optimization. This includes visible content and source code. We will analyze your site code for errors that may prevent search engines from properly spidering your site. We will also analyze your site’s code-to-text ratio and other coding elements. Lastly, we will review and edit your visible content for optimal keyword density while maintaining sales effectiveness.

2. Article Creation. We will produce one article for every keyword term we, together, choose to promote. Traditionally, this is between 200-400 articles. Each article is well written, informative, and engaging to ensure that they add value to your visitors’ experience in addition to winning great rankings.

Most importantly, we add these pages slowly over several months to ensure your site grows organically. This is a key element Google and other search engines look for when ranking a website – that it is constantly updating and adding new information.

3. Publicity. But we’re not talking about traditional PR here. We develop additional articles that pay particularly close attention to your target audience’s pressure points: the secrets they want to know, the tips they need to hear, the problems and solutions your company addresses.

These articles will not be placed on your website, but will instead be promoted to hundreds of other websites in search of compelling articles on your particular subject. This achieves two objectives: 1) each article links back to your website, earning you one-way links from authoritative sites, and 2) the more independent websites that discuss your company or publish an article written by your company, the better your reputation will be. Your potential customers will find your company discussed on other websites, or see that other websites have endorsed you by publishing your article.
I hate that shit!!!  Yet here I am writing for them.  I still don't necessarily have a problem with it logically, it just feels funny.  Are they going to take my articles and make hundreds of articles out of them?

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SEO funny businees I'm involved in. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 03:34 AM »
Are they going to take my articles and make hundreds of articles out of them?
Yes. That thing is called spinner. There are two types of spinner -human and machine. Machine spinner generates articles in matter of few seconds-minutes when you set it with spun words. Your article contains few words which they're going to use for spinning 10x or more time. Google can't decide the quality of any text and that way they can easily get away from it. Human spinners-rewriters are in much safe zone because your article is rewritten and sentence is changed completely. Welcome to gray area in SEO business.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:16 AM »
Are they going to take my articles and make hundreds of articles out of them?

Yes. I see job listings on oDesk all the time for article re-writers, paying $0.10 per article. Yeah, only people that live in 3rd world countries would apply, but they are applying in droves.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:26 AM »
I hate that shit!!!  Yet here I am writing for them.  I still don't necessarily have a problem with it logically, it just feels funny.  Are they going to take my articles and make hundreds of articles out of them?

You could always write a more generic article. It won't be as fun but at the same time you're just writing linkbait anyway plus - think of it this way - even without spinners, most blogs rewrite and link to each other anyway and you too might have used a social media service here and there to share links in another service in order to be spotted.

I hate sounding like a spammer but form follows function. These guys are just optimizing what most of the web 2.0 consumers are doing at a daily basis anyway.

Not that I'm trying to keep you into the service but to me, ethically, this is alot like feeling guilt from killing a man but feeling nothing from killing thousands of ants. Just putting it in context in case you have some qualms.

As long as this is in place:
each article links back to your website, earning you one-way links from authoritative sites
- it's still a whole lot more ethical, logical and rational than those human PPC ad rewriters who get payed for rewriting three or less keywords for somebody.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 02:23 PM »
So should I keep writing for the site?  I can always make my own site, but I liked the idea of people helping with the non-writing stuff like putting the site together and maintaining it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 03:51 PM »
If you're up for writing tech on a volunteer basis. Gizmo's Tech Support Alert website still has openings for software category editors as Mouser mentioned previously.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 06:39 PM »
So should I keep writing for the site?  I can always make my own site, but I liked the idea of people helping with the non-writing stuff like putting the site together and maintaining it.

Well, the site doesn't have a name so it's hard to verify it one way or another.

It's also personnel based. For example, you might not like how Gizmo does things even though he has tons of readers. Then again, you might.

If you really want to write for a site you're not maintaining though (and assuming you're not desperate for a profit) guest blogging is the most flexible and most helpful as not only are you submitting articles but the owner is the one specifically judging whether the article would help his blog or not (plus the norm is to link to your own blog in the article)

P.S. You can actually profit from guest blogging but I haven't even nailed down making a basic profitable blog so I don't know anything about that.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 12:03 AM »
Since you have an account on the member server, and mouser plans on setting up a blog for us, I think you could easily start writing for that, if you want....the same stuff you are doing now.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 12:33 AM »
Since you have an account on the member server, and mouser plans on setting up a blog for us, I think you could easily start writing for that, if you want....the same stuff you are doing now.
Thanks app!  I just posted.