ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

anything better than Object Dock 2 Plus?

<< < (4/10) > >>

cranioscopical:
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the help.
-nudone (February 17, 2011, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's easy enough to misinterpret at times, at least for one of my limited intelligence.

Have you tried posting a question into the DOPUS forums?

Can you do anything with collections?
SpoilerThere is an option in Preferences - Miscellaneous - Windows Integration that lets you add a File Collections icon to the Desktop. If this is enabled an icon appears on the Desktop that lets you quickly open a Lister showing the File Collections root. Also when this is enabled File Collections will appear under the Desktop in the Folder Tree rather than in its own branch.
--- End quote ---
I wonder if you can dump one or more collections into a hide/show toolbar? Or hot-key to collection(s) ?

I don't use W7 so I'm unsure of what you can and can't do with its desktop.

timns:
WinStep looks nice - but perhaps does not offer enough above ObjectDock to make me want to switch.

A combination of FARR and DOpus really takes care of everything else for me.

Something superboyac said just sparked something though: what IS expensive, for software?

Personally I have no problem paying a reasonable chunk of change for something that I am going to get a lot of use out of. The example of DOpus is a really good one. God knows how much I have used that software, and how many hours it has saved me both at work and at home. So is 80+ bucks a lot for that?

I think: no. I wouldn't blink at paying that for a decent pair of boots, say. Or a warm jacket. Or even a decent bottle of plonk. Hell, how about filling the car with petrol?

So I still struggle to understand why there's a very strange attitude to paying for software compared to just about anything else.

wraith808:
Some people won't pay for certain things.  I paid for the Winstep Xtreme suite, and it saves me a lot of time.  Nexus doesn't offer that much above Object Dock Plus.  But Winstep Xtreme at $10 more gives you Nexus + a lot more, so it's a no-brainer for me.

timns:
It's the sort of software I wished I'd found before getting too used to OD and setting it all up 'just so'

I like your suggestion of comparing desktops. I may kick off a thread about that and see who's got the ergnomic edge here  :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
For software price psychology, my theory is this:
If it's between $0-10, nobody should complain.  I'd consider it extremely ungrateful if someone said $10 is to expensive for something they use with any regularity.  Of course, nobody can say anything about freeware, I just don't think the model is sustainable.

$10-20
Some people think this is expensive.  I used to before my career matured.  But now I don't blink at anything under $20.  I'll get it sometimes just because I like the way it's been programmed, even if I don't use it.

$20-50
People start calling these "expensive".  I don't think they are expensive, but the price is high enough for me to actually need justification before purchasing. Like, i really should need it for something now.

$50-100
This is what most people largely consider expensive for software.  Most people will never buy anything in this range.  This range really makes people think twice.  I still don't think it's expensive, but if I need it, I'll get it and it won't really hurt me much.

>$100
This is just too much for most people.  They won't even entertain the thought.  Most people would consider this kind of software as business type, like it's not even meant for home use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version