topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The White House Asks: What's Blocking Innovation in America? Answer: IP Laws  (Read 3587 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
innovation-wi.jpg

The White House is asking us to give them ideas on what is blocking innovation in America. I thought I'd give them an honest answer. Here it is: Current intellectual property laws are blocking innovation.

President Obama just set a goal of wireless access for everyone in the US, saying it will spark innovation. But that's only true if people are allowed to actually do innovative things once they are online.

You have to choose. You can prop up old business models with overbearing intellectual property laws that hit innovators on the head whenever they stick their heads up from the ground; OR you can have innovation. You can't have both. And right now, the balance is away from innovation.

Let's take some specific examples to show why that is so. When Napster first showed up, it was innovative. Heaven knows it changed the world. And instead of letting this creativity flourish, make money, and create jobs, the law was used to kill it. And kill it it did. The law is still trying to kill or at least marginalize peer-to-peer technology, and so it has never been used to the full.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Last year I had a run-in with the fiasco that is the software patent system when someone threatened me with legal action based on software they claimed they created almost a year after mine had been made publicly and freely available.

It is an absolute travesty what is going on with software patents.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
+1

It's a broken system, but it won't change. There are very powerful vested interests that will make sure it stays broken.

There is no hope...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I just read the article. Very compelling arguments against software patents and IP Laws!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After stupidity, I'd definitely agree it's wrangling over IP legalities.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's a broken system, but it won't change. There are very powerful vested interests that will make sure it stays broken.

There is no hope...

That is so negative.

Of course it will change, patent protection times will get longer and longer at the behest of patent lawyers and big corporations....oh...wait....

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

There is no hope...

That is so negative.

Of course it will change, patent protection times will get longer and longer at the behest of patent lawyers and big corporations....oh...wait....

Bwahahahaha~! :D

You're right... It will change~!

Sigh... No hope...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker