ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

March 2011 DonationCoder.com Fundraiser Celebration -- Pledges?

<< < (24/30) > >>

mahesh2k:
I can host such a site (which is basically now a low-activity forum) for $50 a month on a VPS
--- End quote ---
Really ? so you're saying 50$ VPS can stand direct download links of some softwares on this site ? plus member blogs/sites, member software and respective bandwidth usage ?

mouser:
EDIT: Move reply to this thread.

lotusrootstarch:
I can host such a site (which is basically now a low-activity forum) for $50 a month on a VPS
--- End quote ---
Really ? so you're saying 50$ VPS can stand direct download links of some softwares on this site ? plus member blogs/sites, member software and respective bandwidth usage ?
-mahesh2k (February 25, 2011, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Obviously you are not familiar with the hosting industry, in that case I'll point you to a random google query result:
http://www.solarvps.com/linux-vps.php

mahesh2k:
Obviously you are not familiar with the hosting industry, in that case I'll point you to a random google query result:
--- End quote ---
Blah. Blah. Do you even understand when hosting companies suggest you to move to dedicated server ? Obviously YOU are the one who is not familiar with hosting industry.

mouser:
Just a quick note: The day we moved from a VPS to a dedicated server was one of the best days in the life of this site.

On a VPS you are sharing a server with other sites and have no control over what they are doing -- leading to huge swings in responsiveness of the server and contentions for resources, and no way to figure out why things are going wrong when they do and the site grinds to a halt.

Trying to host a site like DC on a VPS would be (and was) an exercise in frustration for everyone.   Gothic, who does all the server administration for DC and has been a life saver could tell you more about the nightmares of trying to run a big site on a VPS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version