ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple: if we get you subscribers, we deserve a cut

<< < (4/10) > >>

zridling:
Google says the 10% only covers their cost, but they never tell you exactly how they come to that tidy figure. To me, that's yet another "Trust us, we're a corporation" statement. All together now:

The cut is (still) too damn high!   :P

Renegade:
BS. There's NO way in Hell that their costs are 10% for a transaction. That's a flat out LIE.

40hz:
Such are the realities of dealing with a closed software ecosystem.

And such is the high tariff some feel we should all be made to pay for what amounts to little more than convenience when shopping.

Fortunately, the solution is very simple.

If you don't want to live with: arbitrary policy and decision-making,  predatory business tactics, 'rules' based on (and changed at) whim, high nonnegotiable pricing, blatantly unfair and constantly rewritten licenses -  then stop doing business with companies that make no bones about the fact that's exactly what they're going to subject you to.

Your single, most effective response to a bad deal is to walk away. :) 8)

Renegade:
@40Hz - If only it were that simple... :(

superboyac:
Such are the realities of dealing with a closed software ecosystem.

And such is the high tariff some feel we should all be made to pay for what amounts to little more than convenience when shopping.

Fortunately, the solution is very simple.

If you don't want to live with: arbitrary policy and decision-making,  predatory business tactics, 'rules' based on (and changed at) whim, high nonnegotiable pricing, blatantly unfair and constantly rewritten licenses -  then stop doing business with companies that make no bones about the fact that's exactly what they're going to subject you to.

Your single, most effective response to a bad deal is to walk away. :) 8)
-40hz (February 17, 2011, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
I truly think Apple is close to crossing some kind of line with their closed business model.  Apple has grown so much over the last two years, it's crazy.  Between the laptops, tablets, phones, they have grown their userbase by tons.  They just can't keep it this closed for too much longer.  i don't know, maybe they can.  But we're seeing...companies are not going to give 30% to Apple for subscriptions.  that sounds so insane.  I mean, if they end up all doing it, I'd be shocked.  That's too big of a cut.  So I'm predicting a lot of important companies will just resist it and their product won't be available on apple devices.  So then the userbase will complain, and because it's growing so much, those complaints will be hard to ignore, I imagine.  So Apple will have to lower their cut.  but what if they don't?  That's going to make more people either A) not want to use Apple devices or B) jailbreak their devices to do what they want.  Either way, it starts fragmenting Apples closed system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version