ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PORTAL 2 AVAILABLE NOW FOR PRE-ORDER

<< < (10/12) > >>

jgpaiva:
I actually have already finished Portal (1) ;)
That's why I'm really curious about Portal2!

It does run decently in the macbook, even though not as well as it did run in my windows machine (which was supposed to be slower than the mac). Not wanting to fuel the mac vs windows, but I've already read a few times that if you install windows on the mac, the game will actually run faster than in OSX ;). (from what I understand, this happens because the windows version uses direct3d whereas the OSX version uses openGL).

I'm now working on getting some free space to run this on windows :P

Josh:
(from what I understand, this happens because the windows version uses direct3d whereas the OSX version uses openGL).
-jgpaiva (May 15, 2011, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

But wait, some people on various forums, including this one, tell me that open standards like "OpenGL" are much better for everyone? Are you saying that DirectX is actually faster than an open competitor?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Ath:
DirectX is usually faster than OpenGL because most hardware manufacturers only develop decently optimized drivers for DirectX and not (or at least much less optimized) for OpenGL, as most games support/expect/require DirectX. And .NET graphics' subsystem is optimized for DirectX as well (WPF only shines/performs well on video chips with Direct9c+ hardware support with the correct drivers installed).

Open standards are indeed better because they are open, not technically better in all cases. :-\

Josh:
Not to sidetrack this thread, but why has OpenGL never really seen wide adoption? I remember seeing OpenGL as a driver option when playing duke nukem 3d back in the early 90s. It is available for Windows, you can use it. Is this a case of the open product not offering what the proprietary systems can?

Lashiec:
It has wide adoption, but not in all fields. When it comes to professional games on consoles and the PC, there are a bunch of reasons why DirectX eventually won the upper hand, and then some more like better tools for DirectX and the fact that DirectX is not as closed as it may seem, as newer specifications are always developed in close association with hardware makers, who know exactly what developers demand from new technologies.

The Wikipedia also has another relevant articlew.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version