ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

We are doomed: IBM's Watson debuts on Jeopardy today (14 Feb 2011)

<< < (6/9) > >>

40hz:
As long as Watson's offspring don't become sentient and discover the nuclear launch codes, we should be fine.
-zridling (February 17, 2011, 08:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I personally subscribe to the notion that what we call "consciousness" is something that emerges spontaneously and naturally out of suffuciently complex systems. I get the feeling that once our systems get enough memory, processing power, and clock speed, something very close to what we would consider "self-awareness" will emerge.

What it will mean for us as a species is anybody's guess once one of our engineering creations "awakens."

But whatever else it may mean, one thing will be certain - it will be a very different world we'll suddenly find ourselves living in.

zridling:
But whatever else it may mean, one thing will be certain - it will be a very different world we'll suddenly find ourselves living in. -40hz (February 18, 2011, 02:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

As long as by "different world" you mean "Holodeck," then I'm in. That's all I'm asking for. That, or the dream world made possible in the movie "Vanilla Sky." But I figure you can already get that with enough morphine and LSD.

40hz:
^I was thinking more along the lines of what it will be like once we can no longer take it as a given we're the smartest species in the room.  ;D 8)

cranioscopical:
we can no longer take it as a given we're the smartest species in the room.
-40hz (February 18, 2011, 07:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, in that case I'm prepared; I've had that feeling for years  :(

Deozaan:
I thought this was hilarious:

http://imgur.com/gallery/lZd0q

really large image

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version