ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

We are doomed: IBM's Watson debuts on Jeopardy today (14 Feb 2011)

<< < (4/9) > >>

40hz:
yet the Apple fans mock it because they feel IBM is lumbering and "so yesterday."-40hz (February 17, 2011, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's because IBM used the wrong name and avatar for their project. They should have given it a cutiesy name and a doe-eyed fawning imbecile avatar. Then the Apple crowd would have bought millions of them overnight.
-Stoic Joker (February 17, 2011, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

No they wouldn't: No fruit on logo =  No sale!

P.S. What's wrong with using a doe-eyed, fawning avatar? In Japan they call that "Fan Service."

(True, I'd prefer a hint of attitude...and her being more on the subtle-flirty geek-girl side.. but that's me.)

8)

Deozaan:
So how did the Jeopardy match turn out? The first news article I read about it made it sound like it came in close 2nd place. This thread makes it sound like it won. Another article I read said it was a tie... :huh:
-Deozaan (February 17, 2011, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
It won!
77.147$ vs 24.000$ vs 21.600$.
-Mark0 (February 17, 2011, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. It figures the folks at DC would be correct. :Thmbsup:

rxantos:
A comment about this technology and the world we live in.

Since our system is capitalistic, this technology will surely mean the end of a lot of jobs. And more pressure for the people that do have jobs.The same way robots replaced people in manufacturing.

Deozaan:
Since our system is capitalistic, this technology will surely mean the end of a lot of jobs. And more pressure for the people that do have jobs. The same way robots replaced people in manufacturing.
-rxantos (February 17, 2011, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't suppose you use a vacuum cleaner or a dishwasher or laundry machines or a computer or electricity or the internet or an automobile or anything digital? Think of all the maids and servants and personal assistants and messengers and publishers and covered wagon makers and ox/horse breeders and quill pen makers and etc. that have been put out of a job because of your thoughtless technological uses! How dare you use technology to your advantage?

Then remember that these same advances have helped us all reduce some of the menial physical labor (even if some people were getting paid to do that labor) and freed us to pursue other interests, some of which interests might even bring more money than what was "lost" to the machines.

My point, though probably not well made, is that there is a fairly well balanced cycle of old jobs lost (becoming obsolete) and new jobs invented as technology improves.

timns:
I find it mortifying that we even have to work at all by now!

Whatever happened to those visions of a utopian life of leisure and sitting around thinking deep thoughts while our machine servants cranked out the daquiris?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version