ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

We are doomed: IBM's Watson debuts on Jeopardy today (14 Feb 2011)

<< < (2/9) > >>

jaden:
Damnit ...I had to watch that whole video, just to find out what color the freaking crayon was.
-Stoic Joker (February 14, 2011, 06:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't think I'd need to say the answer since Harold and the Purple Crayon was a staple of my childhood.  My children have read the books numerous times too.  My apologies :)

rxantos:
mmm, Watson reminds me of Alice. I guess is the same principle but optimized for jeopardy and with a ridiculous large database and computing power.

zridling:
Have to say it's marketing genius to have Watson play Jeopardy. Here's an expert discussion on Watson's Day 2 analytics:
https://www-950.ibm.com/blogs/performanceperspectives/tags/ibmwatson?lang=en_us

But is it a Hal 9000 or Wall-E future?
[T]he true implications of Watson’s technology will come after it retires from the stage and pursues a workaday career in offices and labs. That’s when Watson will shed its avatar and revert to its true nature, that of a powerful machine working for us, not against us. Watson will be a tool [...] A new generation of language-savvy machinery will soon be hunting down answers for us. [...] Once you regard this technology as a powerful supplement to human cognition — and not a replacement — Watson suddenly starts to look much friendlier.

Stoic Joker:
Damnit ...I had to watch that whole video, just to find out what color the freaking crayon was.
-Stoic Joker (February 14, 2011, 06:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I didn't think I'd need to say the answer since Harold and the Purple Crayon was a staple of my childhood.  My children have read the books numerous times too.  My apologies :)-jaden (February 15, 2011, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Quite alright, I was actually just poking a bit of fun at myself for being stymied by a crayon.

Mark0:
Youtube - Jeopardy IBM / Watson challenge Day 1 (p1)

(other parts following kindly displayed by Youtube  :) )

D'HO!
The videos just got deleted.  :mad:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version