ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Anti-Virus Package

<< < (2/29) > >>

brotherS:
Thanks for the post Carol.  The "BN" rating refers the the rating from BetaNews FileForum.
-LuckMan212 (February 27, 2006, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Great post! I immediately knew where those ratings are coming from, but "BN" doesn't say much to most of the DC members I suppose. What about linking the BN rating: text directly, like I'm doing now?

Carol Haynes:
As far as the "list as many as possible" idea well that wouldn't really be a "whats the best" then now would it!  :tellme:  This section is not meant to be a comprehensive list of all programs available in a category, but rather a clear, concise and organized view at only the "cream of the crop".  Think "if I were stranded on a deserted island, what would I bring" -- only of course this time we are talking software and not pocket knives and twine.
-LuckMan212 (February 27, 2006, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry - didn't spot the section it was in ;) Mea Culpa ...

Maybe this thread could generate an AV comparative review which could then be copied to the main review area and then edited down to the best of in here ? That way people will know which have been considered and what their relative strengths and shortcomings are.

Personally if I see a bald - 'this is the best' and it is something I am not using it doesn't really make me consider if I should change - if I can see where it scores over my current package I will look twice and start thinking about it.

wr975:
>Antivir 7
>shows nag/splash screen during update process.

There's a little trick to disable the splash screen in Windows XP Pro (not Home) and Windows 2000.

Problem: I can't explain, because my system is in German. The attached screenshot explains pretty much what to do. Perhaps someone can post English instructions.

Anti-Virus Package

brotherS:
Hi wr975, you could just add images, or use http://imageshack.us/ (I edited your post) - zipping them only means more work for the rest of us :)

Edvard:
As far as nag screens go in Antivir, well, that's the "price" of many a freeware. Antivir is the only one I know of that runs reliably on NT4 (my sob story) and it has performed excellently since day one. Version 7 is a mighty step upwards in looks and ease of use. As far as updates, I remember it was about a year-and-a-half ago, AntiVir put out their "user's wish list" and tops was more update mirrors, and we got it. Updates are 10 times more reliable since then, although I wouldn't recommend trying to update early to mid morning (US time) on a weekday. Other times are fast and reliable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version