ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Anti-Virus Package

<< < (5/29) > >>

allen:
I've been using AntiVir for a good few years, since CA switched to a yearly pricing model -- but, and this was over 5 years ago, I really liked CA.

AntiVir seems to work well, I haven't had an infection slip by, anyway.  The nag screen doesn't bug me too much . . . at least I know my definitions are up to date ;)

The updates used to be really problematic -- had a terrible time getting an update downloaded.  However, with the latest version they must have done some serious work on their server.  It, by default, updates daily -- a feat impossible previously, when it would some times take a few days trying to fetch an update.  That was my only real complaint with them, too -- so I've got nothing left to whine about.

brotherS:
I've been using CA ezAntivirus for more than a year. It's rock solid and low on resources.
-NigelH (February 28, 2006, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
I, too, had been using CA's eTrust EZ Antivirus for about a year - license did run out ~10 days ago and while I couldn't decide whether I should buy one or two more years of their service or change my Anti-Virus program LuckMan212 came along with this nice thread...

Freeware
avast! Home v4.6
BN rating: [4.6/5.0]
Pros: very low resource usage, very stable.  one of the only free AVs with x64 support.
Cons: slightly cluttered GUI.
-LuckMan212 (February 27, 2006, 02:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

...which made me uninstall CA's program and install avast! So far I'm very pleased, it updates itself daily and has quite a few nice option to set it up to your needs.

It's low on resources too.

Edvard:
The updates used to be really problematic -- had a terrible time getting an update downloaded.  However, with the latest version they must have done some serious work on their server.
-allen (March 01, 2006, 09:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Make that servers. plural. Multiple update server mirrors. Nice trick, that. Happened about halfway through ver. 6's life.

mouser:
Our friend Cliff wrote a nice column in this weeks Infopackets newsletter where he discusses his recommendations for free antivirus programs:
http://www.infopackets.com/channels/en/windows/clif_notes/2006/20060301_freeware_antivirus_how_do_they_stack_up.htm

mouser:
when summarizing antivirus posts on the board, don't forget this thread: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1444

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version