ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Anti-Virus Package

<< < (3/29) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Reading the BitDefender website it seems the free version doesn't have active protection?? It is a passive system where you can scan your system. They don't recommend the free version for systems connected to the internet via broadband. This seems a serious limitiation to its use.

The free version of AntiVir doesn't scan POP3 emails - again a bit of a limitation since a lot of viruses etc. arrive via email. They do a shareware version (cheap) that does scan POP3 and some of the cash (25%) is donated to charity. Maybe this should be added to the commercial list too.

hamradio:
Regarding the 2 icons for avast! you can merge them by right clicking on the VRDB icon and clicking "Merge with main avast! icon".

Edvard:
@Carol-
You're right, Antivir doesn't scan emails as they come in. BUT... as soon as I get around to opening one of those (assuming I'm dumb enough to open anything suspicious) it has so far caught anything that comes across. And one nice thing that it does that I'm not sure any others do, is to wipe out the virus while leaving the email intact.

LuckMan212:
thanks for the comments guys!  ;D
Personally if I see a bald - 'this is the best' and it is something I am not using it doesn't really make me consider if I should change - if I can see where it scores over my current package I will look twice and start thinking about it-Carol Haynes (February 27, 2006, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
agreed, I would like some suggestions for how to overcome this-  Polls?  Mini-reviews by other members?  I was thinking maybe rather than use the built-in forum Polls (which I have been told are vulnerable to abuse) we could get people to cast their vote by posting a message to the thread. I will from time to time tally the votes and create a new "DC rating" for each app so we can get an idea of what the "best" apps really are.  (sort them to the top) It can be as simple as:  "I vote for avast!" or more detailed with reasons, etc. (that is always helpful!)  :)

Don't forget the Symantec also do a free online scan.-Carol Haynes (February 27, 2006, 02:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
Carol do you have a direct link to that scan so I can add it to the rest?

Regarding the 2 icons for avast! you can merge them by right clicking on the VRDB icon and clicking "Merge with main avast! icon".
-hamradio (February 27, 2006, 12:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thank you for the info hamradio!  That is good to know.

Updates:
+added   AntiVir PE Premium to commercial section
+added   note about what "bn rating" means
~updated pros/cons for AntiVir free edition: no POP3 scanner, cannot manually scan a folder
-removed BitDefender free (no resident shield)

brotherS:
Thanks for the post Carol.  The "BN" rating refers the the rating from BetaNews FileForum.
-LuckMan212 (February 27, 2006, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Great post! I immediately knew where those ratings are coming from, but "BN" doesn't say much to most of the DC members I suppose. What about linking the BN rating: text directly, like I'm doing now?

-brotherS (February 27, 2006, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
@LuckMan212: Linking the "BN rating:" like I suggested would also have the benefit that users would be able to read the comments on http://fileforum.betanews.com/ which I often find very helpful! With only one click!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version