ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Alternative .chm readers?

(1/2) > >>

f0dder:
Microsoft's own .chm reader is fast, but it has a number of shortcomings:

* It doesn't support UNC paths.
* It has trouble with certain things in filenames (# symbol, names ending in "col", ...)
* It doesn't have "proper" font scaling (smooth ctrl+mousewheel as we're used to from browsers).
* It doesn't support multiple tabs (important for me when reading tech ebooks and wanting to check out a referenced section without leaving the current section).
* It lacks bookmarks (another ideal function would be remembering where you left off, when you close an ebook).
* It doesn't have a "paged" mode - most of the time, the "one continuous page" style is what I want, but sometimes it would be nice to have a paged mode.
So, are there any decent alternatives?

fenixproductions:
Dunno about full readers but maybe someone could build nice one using this:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/htmlhelp.aspx

f0dder:
Yup, found a link to that from the other DC thread about alternate viewers - and the third thread mentions UltraCHM, which is payware.
* f0dder scratches his beard

f0dder:
OK, via SuperUser I found KchmViewer. ~37 megs installed seems like a lot for a chm reader, but it loads very fast (about as fast as the native HtmlHelp viewer, which is guns-ablazing), and it supports tabs, font scaling, and remembers your last position.

Haven't tested UNC paths and the like yet, but my guess is that they work, considering it seems to be a full .chm implementation rather than relying on Windows' standard components (hence the size; it's got WebKit embedded).

nudone:
i'm not at my work machine but i think i've got UltraCHM on there - after the trial it just has a nag screen on start up (and maybe exit). not sure about tabs though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version