ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DC Front Page

(1/9) > >>

timns:
I sent someone to DC yesterday. They were favourably impressed, which is nice, but they did mention (and I think it's a fair comment) that's it's kind to tricky to really get a good feel for what's available.

Is there anywhere you can find all the DC apps grouped in some logical way?

Second point was to make it more obvious that the forum is a big, big part of the DC experience.

Paul Keith:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/index.html

DC's problem (and I'm using the word lightly) is not that the apps are disorganized but that the apps are rarely advertised and reviewed and are therefore harder to chance upon.

Take this blog article for example: http://www.freewaregenius.com/2011/01/12/freeware-bonanza-at-donationcoder-nany-2011-event/

No specific apps because most blog sites are afraid of posting/reviewing one or two small apps and then there's always the reverse - troll commentors.

The forum is already magnified in the blog. Again the issue is that people are expecting blogs or tech forums and not a CMS lay-out.

timns:
Yes I'm aware of that page, but looking at it through another's eyes, I do think it might be nice to have a layout where it's more obvious what this place has to offer - which is a rich bounty of both software and help/knowledge  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
We do need a front page face lift.  and i should probably give up on the blog because after several years of daily updating, im not sure anyone gives a damn about it.

I think the main confusion regarding DC is one that has no simple solution -- and that is that we simply do too many diverse things -- which goes against the trend of the internet for the last decade, which is to focus on single-purpose websites.  But I don't see us changing that any time soon.

However, I'd love to see some mock up ideas for how we might improve the front page, and the site organization in general.

One thing we COULD do is make the front page a kind of collection of lists/tables, like recent interesting forum threads, recent software updates, recent event updates, recent new coding snacks, etc.

rgdot:
Additional link and page that sorts software by type. The current software page which is by author and challenge (N.A.N.Y., etc.) is useful but having the other way adds another layer of usability.

EDIT:
Forgot to add: The Home page can be sort of reversed, perhaps the wider column can highlight DC releases and updates first and foremost instead of them being mainly in the left column

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version