ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Borders Goes Bankrupt - The Death of Print at Retail?

<< < (4/5) > >>

app103:
Mark Evans worked for Borders from 2001 to 2009 as Director of Merchandise Planning & Analysis and Director of Merchandising Strategy & Analytics.

Here is his answer on Quora as to what happened: http://www.quora.com/Borders-Books/Why-is-Barnes-Noble-performing-well-as-a-business-while-Borders-is-near-or-has-even-reached-bankruptcy/answer/Mark-Evans-9

mouser:
good read, thanks app  :up:

timns:
In retrospect, it makes sense. There was a huge Borders near where I lived in Brighton, and also a Waterstones just around the corner. Comparable in size and selection.

One day Borders got a coffee shop... then CD's appeared... then DVD's.

Waterstones carried on selling just books, and is still going strong. Borders is a big empty shell being refurbished into an Urban Beat. Or Barn? Can't remember. Something Urban. Not Keith, I know that much.

wraith808:
A really good read... thanks!  One thing I think that was partly mentioned, but not really dwelt upon- Borders' approach to a lot of important markets was very piecemeal.  I think I understand a bit more after reading this why that was, but still...

Also, their prices were very high on the specialized markets they did get into.  I liked their selections of CDs and DVDs, but I rarely bought from them; I used a scanner on my phone to compare everything to amazon, and would browse there, and order from amazon.  I like the ability to browse a hard copy before buying, but when the price difference is so prohibitive, I wouldn't spend the money for the privilege.

mouser:
I used a scanner on my phone to compare everything to amazon, and would browse there, and order from amazon.  I like the ability to browse a hard copy before buying,
--- End quote ---

This is where i think the future is going.. There will no longer be different kinds of retail stores. There will be only generic "Browsing Shops" which have very high-tech 3d/tactile setups where you walk into a booth and can examine, feel, and just in general "browse" any product available on the internet.  Maybe some popular items will actually have demos in the store.  But nothing will be "in stock" in the store.  You'll just place your order and have it delivered later, or pay some small "browsing free" and order at home at your convenience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version