ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firefox 5 to be released only 5 months after firefox 4 goes gold

<< < (2/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
IE9's release candidate is looking promising. I am giving it serious thought to moving back to IE if IE9 turns out to be as good as this RC is showcasing.-Josh (February 11, 2011, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been using the IE9 betas at home for so long I can't even remember when I started (6 or 8 month, or more). I'm quite happy with it so far, and hope to have time to install the RC this evening.

@timns - Research mainly. You start looking into something and the research branches, and something else comes up, and again.... (etc.) Next thing you know there are 75 plus tabs open on 8 different instances of the browser. ...And that's just on a "normal" day.... ;)

Josh:
I leave 4 open. One is betanews, one is DoCo, one is my college site and one is facebook. That is ALL I USUALLY have open. At most, I will have between 8-9 but then I start feeling cluttered (although opera grouping is nice). I don't mind a browser using up a lot of ram, but 1.5GB for 4 tabs is just horrendous.

nudone:
i hated Firefox for a long time, simply because of its start-up time. well, not strictly true, i couldn't see the point of it when Maxthon loaded quick and had loads of options built in.

but, eventually (not until Firefox 3.5) i saw the light. i still hate how long Firefox takes to load - so much so, i make it autostart after my machine has booted, and then i use ActualWindowManager to prevent me from closing Firefox prematurely, i.e. i get a dialog popup asking if i really want to close FF when i click the "X". this makes me think twice about whether i really want to close it - sometimes i do, most of the time i don't, i just click on it by habit.

so, FF automatically opens at the beginning of the day and stays open all day. doing it this way makes it feel like the fastest browser there is - obviously because i never see it loading.

i really have way too many FF extensions to contemplate using any other browser. which also means i probably won't be using FF4 for a long time, let alone FF5. not unless the extension developers are quick to update their stuff.

Edvard:
Very strange, Firefox opens up VERY quickly for me.
Then again, it has ever since I've been using a better computer.
What kind of specs are you running on?

f0dder:
Even from my Intel X25-E, with the user profile and internet cache on a ramdisk, firefox starts somewhat slowly - but I do have a few addons, and I'm very sensitive to slow startup times. A vanilla firefox starts faster... but who does vanilla?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version