ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firefox 5 to be released only 5 months after firefox 4 goes gold

(1/6) > >>

Josh:
It appears that Mozilla is at least exploring the possibility of an accelerating release pace for major Firefox iterations per the Google Chrome model, if not already working to make it a reality.

In this regard, users could be running the successor of Firefox 4.0 very soon after its release.

How soon? Well, according to Brendan Eich co-founder of mozilla.org and the CTO of Mozilla, Firefox 5.0 could be finalized and made available to customers just a few months after the release of Firefox 4.0.

Eich delivered the closing remarks in the first Weekly Engineering Newsletter, and while the focus was placed on the need to finalize Firefox 4.0 as soon as possible, he also mentioned Firefox 5.0.

At the time when the newsletter was published there were still some 90 severe bugs marked as hard blockers, which all need to be resolved before Firefox 4.0 could be launched.

In addition to the hard blockers there are also a few hundred less severe bugs which can always be pushed to maintenance updates for Firefox 4.0 or to the next version.

“Cast a colder eye on your blockers. Some of them can wait for a dot release or Firefox 5 that I do believe will be only months after 4 comes out. We are going to a fast release cycle. It serves our users better. To do that we have to get this touch and go done with Firefox 4,” Eich said. (emphasis added)
--- End quote ---

More at source

I have dropped firefox simply because I cannot take the sluggish behavior and operation anymore. I use opera now, but am considering moving away from it too, because it is quick and works fairly well. That said, I do not like that it uses 1.5GB of ram for 4 tabs. Also, there are quirks in it's behavior which add up over time.

IE9's release candidate is looking promising. I am giving it serious thought to moving back to IE if IE9 turns out to be as good as this RC is showcasing.

f0dder:
Less time between releases sounds like a good plan - hopefully it means focusing on fewer features for each release, which should also lead to less bugs.

worstje:
I use opera now, but am considering moving away from it too, because it is quick and works fairly well. That said, I do not like that it uses 1.5GB of ram for 4 tabs. Also, there are quirks in it's behavior which add up over time.
-Josh (February 11, 2011, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder what kind of weird websites you visit. :) Here I've got 42 tabs and the counter is at 584.000K according to Process Explorer for me. Sadly, I do agree that it does have some nasty quirks I really want them to fix. :( They're focusing on mobile devices far too much as of late - the desktop browser gets noticeably less polish due to it.

wraith808:
^ They can justify the price to more people as a mobile browser than a desktop browser, so I'm not surprised.

timns:
What do you people do with all those tabs? I feel like a wild man if I have about 4 or 5 on the go  8)

Having said that, I do make extensive use of Check & Get to help me keep an eye on sites of interest that are getting updated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version